1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulching vs discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, May 23, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone is using mulch kits or decks all throughout the mowing season? I know that you can mow faster with a discharge however I think you can cut down you blowing time to almost nothing. Im not sure if the grass is wet and or long if it will clump to were it would slow you down alot. I know a competitor that is running Lazer Zs with mulch kits and seems to have now problem we are considering going with that option. I know our Walker mulches wonderfull with 6 blades on its mulching deck. We may trade our surfer for a Lazer just for this reason.:confused:
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a mulch kit for my exmark 36 metro, but there's no way I'd have put it on any time in the past few weeks. As moist and heavy as the grass has been, it would have been an utter nightmare.

I'm going to wait until most of my jobs are growing between half an inch and one inch a week and the clippings seem to come out pretty dry to put on the mulch kit. That might seem overcautious, but I'm able to keep the discharge clippings out of gardens for the most part, and anything on the sidewalks is easier to blow away than cleaning out a bogged-down deck.
  3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We discharge most of the year here. The grass just grows to fast for me to mulch it. Every now and then on some yards in the fall we will bag them just becuase of the leaves.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Same here.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have to agree that I wouldn't be able to put the mulching kits on. It would be a disaster