1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mulching vs. regular blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryanwhite5, May 17, 2008.

1. Ryanwhite5

Ryanwhite5 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

What type of blades are better mulching or stock blades.
  2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

i use gator mulching blades.
  3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

we use gators as well
  4. I havn't been able to use mulching blades on northern grasses. It kind of balls up.
    Except I do use gators on top with a double blade set up.
    I have a set of gators that I use just for mulching leaves.

If you have a side discharge mower with a lot of discharge velocity the gators might work for you. You'll have to watch where the clippings go. The gators kind of squeeze the sap out of the grass so it'll stain houses easily.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i only run mulching blades in the fall they just dunt give a very good cut this time of year
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulching blades dont work for me this time of year, they just make a big 'ole mess of turds all over the lawn. Later in the year they work great once the grass slows down and dries a little bit.
  7. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

Around here the lawns are mostly Kentucky 31 tall fescue.

Do the high lift gator blades work well using a Tiger cub 61" velocity deck during the rainy season?

thinking about trying them
  8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I use Toro mowers and I have found that the stock mulching blades are better than Toro's Atomic Blades, which leave a lot of stringers. Last year it was so dry I mulched all year but this year I am discharging until later this summer. Regular blades do not usually mulch well, so I switch out the blades depending on the need.
  9. skeet

skeet LawnSite Member

are the fusion blades worth the price on standard hgh lift and/or gators?
  10. Ryanwhite5

Ryanwhite5 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

well i have a lesco commerical walkbehind and i live in the north east (PA). So which set of blades would leave a nicer cut.