1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching vs. side discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by miller5320, Aug 26, 2007.

1. miller5320

miller5320 LawnSite Member

I own a John Deere Z225 mower (42") and I've been having problems while mowing. When I used the mulching feature, the grass clumped up and I had to mow over the lawns twice. Just recently I removed the mulching kit and changed to using side discharge. I mowed my lawn with the side discharge and I also had to go over it twice. I've noticed that most professional companies use side discharge and they have no problems, the grass doesn't clump, and don't have to cut twice. I mow at 3.5". Is there something I can do so I don't have to mow twice?? Thanks.
  2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I hate to say this, but it is more the fault of the deck than anything else. I have the JD ZTrac 777, and it has the 7-Iron deck. It doesn't have any problems with clumps as long as I'm not mowing hay fields with it! However; the JD yellow deck mowers (like the LT145 that I have with the 48" cut) will clump bad and leaves a mess unless I use the mulch kit. I'm not sure if the Z225 uses the mulching blade set up or not. Change them to a regular blade if they do, and if regular blades are available. Better yet, if you can, trade up to a small Z-Trac with the 7 Iron deck and you will be MUCH more happier!!