1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

mulching vs side discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rvldesign, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

i have always used mulching mowers and have had no problems but it seems everyone on here uses side discharge. i prefer the mulching mowers because it helps keep clippings out of beds as well as i dont have to worry about things flying out the side of the mower. so my question is why does so many people use/prefer side discharge mowers versus putting a plate on the side to help keep clippings out of beds and things from flying out. also how do people that do use side discharge keep from stuff getting into beds and on to houses?

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I side discharge because it lets me cut taller, thicker grass easier than mulching. I use an OCDC to keep clippings out of beds, off houses, driveways and when people or pets are around.

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

There are situations for both. I used to carry 2 mowers, 1 discharge & 1 mulch. This year I bought a John Deere with MOD and it allows me to use 1 mower. It is a dream.

4. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a ocdc on the side discharge and it is great

5. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

my experience with mulching decks are that they dont allow you to cut very fast, the cut is nver very good (always straglers left behind)
    We use side discharge and have discharge plates installed so we can close when travelling by flower beds etc.

If the grass is super tall and thick, it may require a second pass or a blower dispersing some clippings after cutting

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Well around here during the spring mulching mowers simply can't keep up. There are times when grass grows 8" in a week and you can't mulch that. I don't run an ocdc, I just make sure to stay 2 passes away from objects I don't wanna spray with grass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Some of the stuff we cut just can't be mulched. We use side discharging and a block off plate because it is more versatile.

8. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Come try and mulch the bi weekly lawns I do and it would be the last time you did that. It's great for immaculate weekly mows where the growth isn't too thick. I side discharge everything. I have to.

9. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

both have their places. Personally I prefer side discharge due to the increased speed at which you can mow at. Mulching in my experience leaves behind stragglers and left clumps of grass when it was taller. I would rather double cut with a side discharge to spread clippings out more evenly than I would with a mulching mower. I have never run a mulching mower bigger than a 21" but have run plenty of 36, 48, 60, and 72 inch mowers, all of them being side discharge. Just my 2 cents

10. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I was just wondering bc you don't see many people using mulch plates here really but I'm in the south and Bermuda and zoysia will dont grow as fast as rye or feacue does. Plus I usually just do weekly mowing although this spring we hVe mowed a lot of yard full and weeds were side discharge would've helped but I'm not removing the plate for one yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device