mulching vs side discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rvldesign, Apr 21, 2013.

1. APLUS LAWN CARE

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

Just like some people mentioned above I side discharge because I now a lot of grass that is tall and if I mulched, I would have to double cut everything.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

It's funny how different areas different setups are required. I couldn't get away with out an OCDC down here. All my lot sizes are 10,000 square feet or less and with landscape beds, driveways, pools and walkways I'd be plastering something with grass.

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Thats why I love my area, having to fumble with an ocdc would probably kill me, atleast until it became second nature like im sure it is for you.

4. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah it is. I pretty much drive my Lazer one handed lol.

5. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

How many people use pedal controlled ocdc setup a versus the manual ones with levers and do any of you use them on standers?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

we use lever controlled, and they are on our Wrights

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

If a lawn is growing that much then it should be mowed once a week.

EOW should be for the lawns that do not grow much.

8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I side discharge and don't ever see anyone running a mulch kit locally. You can mow faster side discharging and it doesn't leave stranglers or anything from what people have told me. Now I have to admit it would be nice to not have to cut so I don't spray beds and don't get grass on the driveway or anything.

9. dutchacres

dutchacres LawnSite Senior Member

On my two machines I have a mulch kit on one and side discharge with the other. I prefer mulching in tight areas and side discharging in open areas. Even in our conditions here I dont have that much trouble with the mulching kits. Normally when I have to double cut I would have had to double cut side discharging also. There is a difference also between a block off plate and a mulching kit. It cracks me up when people think they are the same thing. I cant see ever running a machine without a mulching kit on properties like I mantain. I will say they usually do require a little more maintenance than side discharging. You do have to sharpen blades more often to keep the cut quality up. Also running the proper blades while mulching makes a huge difference in cut quality as well.

10. goel

goel LawnSite Member

I know a guy that runs Rear discharge grasshoppers. He has switched from side discharge to the rears. If I remember correctly, the rear discharge decks are cheaper to purchase, and he saves something like 15 percent fuel (diesel) on the same properties that he used to run the same machines - just with the different decks.