mulching vs side discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rvldesign, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

F the wind.... Mulch kit and just mow grass!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

can't mulch when 95% of your customers are bi weekly. i'm sure the grass would pack in there pretty bad in the spring time as well. you'd be scraping the deck alot. i hardly have to scrape mine at all during the spring. maybe once a week. the rest of the season i don't have to scrape it out at all. it's pretty wide open mowing here too. i have some customers with 2 1/2 acre yards.

i use G6 blades so it's basically the same thing as mulching only i'm doing it while side discharging. they cut the clippings up into small pieces like a mulch kit would.
  3. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

This is true! But I hate the days when the wind is blowing that hard that the grass & dust is being blown straight back at you while your mowing in a straight line for 100m or more! doesnt happen often but dam it pisses me off!
  4. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

I tried mulching for a while, but no good with the grass growth we get! even on my weekly cut lawns, its useless! So side throwing is the only go for me, unless I had the MOD deck that sounds like the solution.
  5. Rvldesign

Rvldesign LawnSite Member

This has been a great thread so far and a great read. I bought my 52" vride this spring and put the mulch plate on immediately but had a realitor call wanting a yard cut so when we got there it was 18"+ tall so I took the plate off to side discharge and haven't put it back on and it was great for that yard and a few that we had gotten far behind on but ill be putting the plate back on as it was terrible with the high winds blowing grass in my face and into bed that you couldn't help but throw grass into. Plus on Friday I was doing a yard and idk where it came from but i had something hit me in the eye even with my Oakley flak jacket glasses on. In fact it knocked them off in order to hit my eye. That alone was enough to make me want it put back on. Never found what hit me either was very strange.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i got hit in the eye with a piece of wood that came out from the front of the mower deck. so a mulch plate doesn't keep it from happening. :laugh:
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If mulching with an ExMark, is the Triton deck a better mulching deck?
  8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

where is you safety glasses
  9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

You're in the wrong business if grass clippings bother you and you feel you have to change how you cut the lawn so clippings don't blow in your face. Personally I like it. It's like being one with nature.
  10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

good answer :clapping: