MULCHING w/52" and up decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I know there are some out there running mulch kits with much sucess on 52" eXmarks....but what about bigger decks and also other brands?

2. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

I took a mulch kit for a 60" exmark and fabricated it to fit the 61" deck on the Ferris I just sold. It work exceptional.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Cool!!! Never thought of that!

Ferris does need to get on the ball and design a good mulch kit. I'm sure they can handle that. They have 'IS' for god's sake!

4. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

we have 52" Walker with a discharge deck and we bought the mulch kit to go with it. It has a 6 blade set up it does fine when the grass isnt grown as much but if the grass is thick and long it leaves clumps.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Anybody else out there?

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well yeah, I sometimes use the mulch kit on my Toro Z588E, 60'' deck, goes great, last time I used the mulch kit I used recycle blades and atomics, love to try raptors, but side discharging is faster for me.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Tony,

Yeah, I remember the pics of the mulch kit. It's an interesting system with those wedge kickers. Anyways, so you are saying the kit just really slowed you down too much? Put a heavy load on the engine? That's a 28hp EFI on the Z588E right?

Humm.... sounds like maybe you really need a TON of extra power for mulching with the big decks???

8. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Just starting mulching (single gators) on a Country Clipper Charger (23hp/52") and much better than I had hoped. No blowout and able to mow at the same speed as when discharging. Most surprised that the deck was actually easier to clean - expected a lot more scraping, not quite a bit less!

9. Envy Lawn Service

mowhigh,

Is the CC mulch kit still just a block off plate and small arc baffle thingy? Or is it something different now? Any pictures by chance?

10. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a mulch kit on my Z500 52" toro with a 27 kohler and I didn't like it at all, but then again I put it on there when we were getting 2-3 inches of rain every week and our St Augustine was growing 6-8 inches a week. The mulch kit just robbed too much HP and didn't seem to save anytime. I might put it back on just to see how it does now we are in a drought.