1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching w/ Johndeere ZTrak....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fulldraw68, Mar 2, 2005.

1. fulldraw68

fulldraw68 LawnSite Member

I'm about ready to buy my ztr and my choices are down to the JD 737 or the 757. My dealer told me that the mulch kit for this mower comes with metal baffles, blades, and a discharge closure. What I want to know is what is involved with setting up the mower to mulch. How many bolts, how long does it take, is it a pain in the a%% :angry: ? More importantly, does this factory kit work well or do I need a different blade setup than what the kit comes with? If so what blade setup and where can I get info online about these blades (I read here alot about the gators)? I want to verify with those that actually do have experience with the 737/757 and compare to what the dealers have been telling me. :D
    I have been reading this site for about a year now and have gained alot of useful knowledge. Lots of great info here!!!

One other quick question.....My dealer has an 05 witout ROPS that he will sell for about $250 dollars cheaper than he will one that is going to come in with the ROPS. Should I take it or wait for the ones coming out standard with ROPS??? I understand there are not any other differences?????
  2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the MEG MO blades on you mower. Save money and work as you will not need that mulch kit. It will help with an advanced chute system.
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I installed a recycler kit on my Z Master that sounds very similar to the one you described. It probably took an hour. It wasn't to bad of a job, the holes should already be pre-drilled in the deck. It works pretty good.

Also, personally, I would not get the ROPS. I just don't see the possibility of rolling one of those machences being that great.
  4. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

I have a 737 with the mulch kit. Once you put it on once it goes easier - all holes needed to mount are already on the deck to begin with. When I want to discharge now I just take one half of the baffles off and the discharge plate off. It's quicker to take the kit off than put on. I can do mine in about 15 minutes now. I run various combo's of blades including the JD blade that comes with the kit, GrassHawg mulcher blades, and even some double blade setups.
  5. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have a 737. Do the JD blades work or is there something better. Can you get the kit (from JD) w/o the blades?
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 757 with the mulch kit. It works excellent! I mulch everything all the time. Don't even own a bagger. Of course, I use mulching blades (JD brand). The dealer mounted the mulch kit. Its not real fun to take on and off.

Check into the new OCDC system that Deere has. It allows you to switch from mulch to side discharge at the flip of a lever. If I were buying mine new, I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for the ROPS, I wish mine had it, but I wouldn't have it if it is not the type that folds down.
  7. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

hi fulldraw68 are you talking about the regular mulch kit or the on demand mulch. either way I've setup a lot of deere the direction for setup are pretty easy to follow for the most part. But every now and than deere fubar the direction and it makes a lot of guess work out of it. I'd still install it myself just so didn't have to pay the dealer to. :cool:
  8. fulldraw68

fulldraw68 LawnSite Member

I was talking about the regular mulch kit not the on-demand deck. I hear that they are hard to come by and cost a bundle more. I usually bag at the beginning of the year to get all the dead grass off the lawn. I mulch the rest of the year unless there is a dethatch job and I'll bag that. I will put the kit on myself I just wandered how difficult it was going to be going from mulching to bagging.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

The JD mulch kit is a pita to install and remove on a 60" 7 Iron. Seems to work ok during the summer on drier grass but in the spring it just plain sucks on cool season turfs.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the mulch on demand system just yet. I was told JD is having problems with it due to the deck packing full of grass. I guess we just have to wait and see.
  10. JDRep2

JDRep2 LawnSite Member

Please PM about your comment. I'm interested to hear where you discovered that performance problem. Considering these units weren't out until NOV of last year (dealers in WI didn't get them till then).