Mulching Walker

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fbcoop, Jun 15, 2004.

1. fbcoop

fbcoop LawnSite Member

Anyone have any experience with shutting off the GHS system on a Walker and mulching with a GHS deck? Like many others I'm tired of collecting all the clippings but I really like the Walker.

Thanks,

Coop

2. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I know Walker sells a mulching deck and blower belt shut-off kit, never used one myself...
    I have used the deflector Walker makes that fits in the catcher door (It shoots the grass down at a 45 degree angle) with descent results. Did have ALOT more to blow off though.
    I tried to use gator type mulching blades with GHS catcher door deflector... You loose too much vacuum and will clog the lower shoot

I also added in this Spring, a Great Dane "Surfer" to try out in reducing the collection of grass. With this machine, I'm only using the Walker to do the edges (since NOTHING ELSE does edging as nice & close to reduce weedwacking) IMO.
    Combination seems to be working nicely NOW that grass is slowing down in growth.

3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Well you try what I seen done. This man took a GHS machine and first removed the blower belt and then removed the plastic chute going to the blower. He then replace the plastic chute with a piece of roofing tin and turned the GHS deck in to a rear discharge deck. Walker makes a plastic 'dish' thing to put off the intake on the blower fan.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Why not buy a Walker mulching deck and do it right. They are not that expensive,compared to the price of the whole machine. I have a 48"GHS deck that came with my machine, but bought a 42" mulch deck a year later. I only use the GHS for fall leaf cleanup, where it really gives me an edge over the competition. The rest of the season, I use the mulch deck. I do not shut off the GHS blower. I just let it run all the time. Been doing it this way for 5 years now. If you modify the GHS deck to mulch, it will do a poor job, as the GHS has different baffles, and the blades rotate in opposite directions. I can not see how you could get a high quality mulch job out of it.