Mulching - Where Do You Let Your Deck Dump?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimQ, Jul 31, 2008.

1. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Alright mulchers,

When mulching in average conditions, does your deck hold a large amount of clippings, then drop them where ever the PTO is dis-engaged? How do you deal with this? Am I just cutting off too much grass or is the grass too wet if this is happening? Any special mowing techniques required for mulching vs. side-discharge?

Here's a few more questions...

Do you prefer to have each blade individually chambered off or is it better to allow some cross flow between the chambers? What advantages are offered by each configuration?

Do "kickers" actually work or are they just a gimmick? Scag uses them in their "Eye of the Hurricane" mulch kit. Toro has them on their mulching 21's. Others may too.

Got a favorite mulching blade?

Sorry for so many questions, I typically side-discharge but would like to learn as much about mulching as I can. Thanks very much!

2. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

I've never had to deal with this problem. I have an Exmark TTHP with the Trivantage deck. Has the stock mulching blades, nothing special and it cuts perfectly.
  3. hexfactor

hexfactor LawnSite Member

i have a hursqvarna 1z 4217 and found that once the lifted lip started wearing out on the blades is when the grass started to stick under the deck. Got new blades and the grass quit sticking. But when the grass did stick, most of my accounts have a vacant lot, or void are with weeds to dump grass. I hope those lots dont fill in,lol.
  4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

When I did mulch with Scags velcoity decks I would "dump" the deck in a inconspicuous spot on the customers yard them mulch that up, and hope they did no find it. Oh the blow out going over concrete gotta love that:laugh: Pain in the arse glad I no longer deal with this; although I get a grin no longer having to deal with mulcing, Walker GHS'N now :cool2:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, at times my mower deck will hold clippings in huge clumps but
    it doesn't always wait for me to disengage the blades either :cry:

Don't know what to say exactly, I got to where I'd pick a spot off the side
    like near the woods and let it drop a load LOL then keep going.
    And that's exactly what I'm thinking too, time to take her to the woods,
    QUICK before she has to take that dump! :p

Very frustrating, usually only happens if I wait too long between mows
    and the grass is thick and wet and tall, too.
    This very problem has turned a 45-minute lawn into 2 hours for me before :cry:

Yet another reason I prefer working in the afternoons,
    may not be as cool but no morning dew.

Only other thing I do is use the blower later to disperse those clumps it
    likes to drop 'wherever,' all in all a pretty decent pita but what can you do?
  6. LawnMowerKing10

LawnMowerKing10 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 toro 21 inch mowers and I let them dump on the sidewalk then blow it away. I think the kickers do work well cause when I clean them off they are always stuffed with grass stuck to them
  7. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

On St. Augustine in the early morning or after rain, sometimes the deck gets clogged. If there is an empty lot nearby I disengage and dump there. If there is no place to dump, then I disengage in the street and clean it up.
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

This is a very good question. I don't think it ever comes up on here. For me this happens a lot with thick wet grass in the mornings. Its not a big deal usually I just raise the deck a little to justify the longer grass. On my Toro in certain conditions the grass builds up and makes a buzzing sound. I go to a sidewalk and disengage the PTO. all the grass falls to the ground. I bag the big piles, or just blow them in the yard.

I think the eXmarks have the best mulching deck for our types of grass. I have never heard about anybody having buildup issues.
  9. gthompson

gthompson LawnSite Member

I had the mulch kit installed on my Titan Z Toro and have this problem quite a bit. Most of the lawns here are mixed with a lot of clover and if I let it get a little bit ahead of me or it is damp I get clumps on every turn and a big pile when I disengage the blades. I just bag the grass up and take it with me or dump it onsite if they have woods etc.
  10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

With my Quick, it's all about how much I'm cutting and how wet the grass is. If it's too tall or too wet, I get a clogged deck, and it will sometimes dump when I ask it to, and sometimes on it's own.

I have found that I have to bag most of the time, and it isn't due to grass conditions, it's these dirty trees. Sycamores, sick trees with premature leaf drop, you name it.... I have to bag this crap or the property looks like chit. I am hoping that in August I can mulch.... but it isn't the grass height or wetness as much as it is these stinkin trees!