Mulching with a 21" Toro Proline w/BBC?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C.B., Mar 12, 2002.

1. C.B.

C.B. LawnSite Member
    from PA

Does anyone have any experience mulching with a 21" Proline (Kawasaki) with BBC?

I am concerned whether or not the extra space taken up under the deck with the BBC and cover assembly (and kickers) will hinder the mulching ability of this mower (as opposed to the same mower without BBC).

Also, does anyone have experience with the BBC model using the Atomic blade (mulching or bagging) - good or bad?

Thanks!!

2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Personaly I dont know how good it will mulch but my dealer said not to get the one with the bbc itwas nothing but trouble. It tears up when you hit something. The cons out way the pros. Iam a toro fan but the deere with kawi and alum deck,wheels with bbc is a hundred or so cheeper.

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

C.B.,

I have a 21" Toro Proline with the 6.5 Briggs and Stratton. It does not have BBC and mulches very well except for when the grass is extra long. I don't think the BBC is any better.

I tried out the Atomic mulching blades last year and was disappointed with them. They grind everything (grass, leaves etc) to a very fine mulch and thus reduces bagging enormously. However, I found that the blade lacks lift and thus it seemed to push the grass down not up. This left a very bad looking cut which a few customers were not happy with. On top of that, the amount of grass that stuck to the deck was huge. This stated, however, some people on this forum have had a lot of luck using the double blade system (regular blade on the bottom, atomic on the top). I have never tried it however.

4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I don't have any problems with mulching with my toro with BBC, It works quite well on lawns that are maintained anyway except for real wet grass, My toro is an older model with a 5.5 gts engine.... The one drawback is that Mulching does not work well on taller grass so you need to bag anyway, I've only used the stock toro blades.

5. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

We do not have the BBC model of the Toro Proline but the standard model with the two stroke engine. Our mowers mulch very well except for deep wet grass. We have also tried the atomic blades and have not been real happy with them regarding the quality of cut. They do seem to work well with dry leaves and grass but nothing else. As mentioned on a previous post, I do not think they have the lift needed for a good cut. With the standard high lift blade, we have been very happy.