Mulching with a Stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Failghe, May 23, 2004.

1. Failghe

Failghe LawnSite Member

Is this possible? Can you block off the discharge chute? Maybe double blade?
    I used to have a 52" 25hp lazer with the micro mulch kit years ago and loved it. But always liked the idea of the Wright Stander except they don't or at the time didn't make a mulch kit.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

They make one. I justed order them for mine. Its a full mulch kit. It should be about $175 for the kit. I run double gators now, i plan to do the same with the mulch kit.
  3. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

The 52" Stander mulch kit part # is 95440003
  4. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

i put one on this spring and I am taking it off. There is too much clumping and I end up either double mowing or having to do a lot of extra work to clean up the clumps. I have been using single gators. It is a 52" stander with the 23hp Kawi.
  5. Failghe

Failghe LawnSite Member

I remember somebody telling me that gator blades are heavy and can wear out the spindles faster?
    Do you have problems double blading?
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello Failghe and welcome to Lawnsite. I'm up here in Spring Hill so I mow the same types of grass you mow. My friend owned a 42" Stander and I owned a 52" Sentar and they both had dedicated mulching kits on them. No clumps and looked as though it was bagged in wet or dry conditions. The ONLY way to mow Floratam. When I bought my Sentar the factory didn't offer anything other than a block-off plate so my dealer (Mowermart out on Rt 52 in Pasco) custom made one for ours. I believe that the factory now offers a true mulch kit but if they don't, Roy at Mowermart can fix you up.
  7. Failghe

Failghe LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info about Mower Mart. Sounds like you've had good luck with them, I'll have to get over there to see them.
    Does the mulch kit only block off the discharge chute or does it enclose all the blades individually? Like the Exmark.
    Thanks for all the help from this site it is great.
  8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

The kit completely isolates each individual blade just like on your Exmark. And by the way, you don't need doubles as many of the folks up north use. Actually, I don't even use Gator blades on mine. I just use regular standard lift blades and they work incredibly well.
  9. Failghe

Failghe LawnSite Member

That's great to hear about mulching. I'll get up to Mower Mart this week and see if I can demo one.