Mulching with an Exmark Ultracut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Radon, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Radon

Radon LawnSite Member

Do you really need the mulch kit @$300.00 to effectively mulch, or will mulching blades with the discharge closed off do just fine?

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

That will NOT work.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

it will do a crap job if you are not into quality work go for it for what I charge if woud never fly.

4. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

no... dont just close off the discharge because the blades will still want to push the grass towards it and you'll end up with lines of cut grass just piled up. the mulch kit is worth it. just make sure that you want to mulch a LOT. taking the kit off is a pain if you plan to take it on an off repeatedly. but as far as a finished product of a mulch kit... BEAUTIFUL CUT!!

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say if you're in GA, that you can probably use the mulch kit year around, and the Exmark kit does a GREAT job. I only use mine in Fall and very early Spring. Grass here is too full of moisture to mulch year 'round.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya, same hear in New England moisture content is way to high to mulch.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You Aint kiddin:laugh:

8. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

yes buy the mulch kit for that deck

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about exmark but we brought the $300 kit for our Scag Tiger 48" and it is sitting on the shelf. We put the device to close the outlet and put on mulch blades and we mulch year round. Most people in our area can't mulch year round with the those channel retainers on the machine just too much load with outlet closed.

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the mulch kit for my Ultra Cut deck and it works great! I put it on before the leaves start falling and leave it on until spring when the grass and weeds are too juicy to mulch ( I take it off only for customers that pay extra to get it bagged).