Mulching with an Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Les Blum, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Les Blum

Les Blum LawnSite Member

I have a 48" WB Exmark gear drive with fixed deck. I would like to set it up to cut/mulch all-year with the same blades or mulch kit. This would include wet grass in the spring and leaves in the fall and everything in between. I understand the mulch kit offered by Exmark doesn't work with wet grass. Will doubles work (does the deck height have to be adjusted)? Or does anyone have any other suggestions.
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

On our Exmark Metro 48" wb w/ 14hp Kohler, we use double Gator blades, with no "mulch" kit. It cuts fine, and reduces the grass clippings substantially. If there is a lot of clippings, we either double cut or use backpack blowers to disperse the clippings. We basically never pick up grass clippings.

The "deck" height does not have to be adjusted, we just switched a 1/4" washer to the top to make up for the extra blade on each spindle.

Wet grass is just a pain, no matter what you do.

Hope this helps.
  3. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I had the mulch kit on my 36 with 12.5 kawi and i wasn't impressed. Left stringers down the middle, clumped some and bogged down in wet grass. Blowout is increased so with the light falling of leaves happening now it was useless. I took it off this afternoon put the doubles back on, gator on top high lift bottom. Im probably going to keep the kit off for good, looking into trac vacs now.
  4. mlc4163

mlc4163 LawnSite Member

Have the micro-mulch kit on a 48" / 17Hp Kaw. we use it in an area that has a lot of beds and people who park their cars way up on the side walks, about 12 hrs of mowing time in this maze alone. The mulching kit has been a blessing for us. Much less clipping in the beds and under and on the cars. We stopped using the factory blades and went to a set of Lesco gator type blades. Much easier and faster to sharpen, can't really tell if the cut suffers and we get a good price for the blades too.
    Best of luck.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I have the mulch kit on my 36 Metro and I don't have any complaints, except I have noticed that with the light leaf fall I have to chase the leaves sometimes. Seems to blow them to the right. Wet grass, never a problem, just have to really slow down.
  6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48 metro with 15 hp kohler. I have been running the mulch kit on my mower since i bought it early this year. I run exmark mulch blades with the kit and have NO problems. On high grass or wet grass you might have to go over it twice because of clumps but the cut to me is ALWAYS better than discharging grass on the top of the yard. Around here i mainly cut bermuda and the mulch kit Will not come off my mower untill the spring for first cuts. Leaf season will see still on too. Exmark has, to me, the BEST mulch deck I have used for leaves.

If you can't tell i'm sold on my mulch kit on my metro. When i get another metro it will have the mulch kit on it also. I refuse to discharge grass on a yard and I Will not bag a yard unless its the first cut.

Get the mulch kit and run single Exmark mulch blades. You will not be disapointed.

7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Get the mulch kit and run doubles. Run mulch blade on top and notched or solid high lifts on bottom. You really will not be disappointed.
  8. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

mulch kit and doubles messes up the air flow for the unit to mulch correctly. you will get alot of blow out. Ask 65Hoss about blow out and doubles. Doubles are really for discharging in my opionion. you take up alot of the mowers power when you add the mulch kit and hit high grass. throw in the doubles dragging the mower down and it grinds to a halt for thick zoyzia or bermuda.

9. Les Blum

Les Blum LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate your comments and I hope I learn from your experience.
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've got the mulch kit on my Turf Tracer HP 36" 15 Hp. Only complaint is wet grass. If it's long and wet it's not great, but not bad, but if it's not too long and wet, it's not very bad at all. I recommend it as long as you give it air to breathe (read my post). Good luck.