Mulching with Doubles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr.CleanCut, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Mr.CleanCut

Mr.CleanCut LawnSite Member

Help anyone!

I'm relatively new to the business. I've only been mowing for 2 yrs and mostly residential. I'm currently running a Scag 48 WB with a mulching plate only. I had the eliminators on when I bought it new and I loved them. My dealer tells me they are around $25.00 each to replace so I've used Gators (didn't like) and some after market Scag blades and I'm just not satisfied with the results. I've been wanting to try a double blade setup but not sure.

Question # 1 Can I run a doubles set up when mulching?
    Question # 2 Does anyone know where to buy Eliminator Blades cheap?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Mr.CleanCut

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Double eXcalibur non-serrated Mulchers w/Micro Mulch....

Go Nuts.

mm1.JPG

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

#1 yes, but if you are going thru dense growth or tall growth be prepared to bog or turf turd alot
    #2 No

Except for the fact that you balk at $25 I would try some meg-mo blades. I love mine, but I have only mulched with them on a 21" Toro.

4. Mr.CleanCut

Thanks Fareway for the info.......I'll check into the excaliburs

5. Mr.CleanCut

Thanks Precision for the info.........I'm mowing medium height bermuda.......about 2 1/2 iches every 7 to 10 days. Can I expect alot of turf turds?

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

IGGY!!

Have you tried the Raper Blades???

John

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have little to no experience with Bermuda.

But the basic concept works on all grass types. If you bog the mower while discharging it will bog 20-30% faster while mulching. Once a mulcher bogs the only thing it can do is turf turd it out or stall.

Running doubles will slow the onset of bogging, but will accelerate the effect once it does occur.

Doubles works by having 4 sharp edges instead of 2 so the blades stay sharp longer and the grass is getting cut closer to the tip edge which reduces load on the engine.

However once the mower is pushed passed its ability to process the grass, the doubled weight on the spindle multiplies the deceleration rate of the blades (or you can look at it as adding to the load on the engine). This will cause rapid bog out or stalling.

Meg-mos are better because you have double the cutting edge, but not anywhere near double the weight.

There are really only 2 choices with mulching vs bogging. Get more horsepower (torque really) or go slower. Of course this assumes you have sharp blades and all the other obvious things that affect cut quality taken care of.

8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hey Chubby...I've Used the Raptors and They Left Big Clumps w/the Micro Mulch....

2 eXcalibur Mulch Blades if You Have Good hp to Deck Size Ratio...2 eXcalibur Low Lifts if You Have Poor hp to Deck Size Ratio...

Meg-Mo Sux for Mulching...Much to Big a Sail.

& Remember Kids...if if Doesn't Say eXcalibur on the Package the Blades are Probably Not Sharpened to the Center Hole.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thank You.

10. Mr.CleanCut

I have not tried the raptors yet. Do you recommend giving them a shot?