Mulching with scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawnslawns, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Shawnslawns

Shawnslawns LawnSite Member

I just got a new customer. They want to mulch it. I haven't mulched with my scag 48 walk behind. I called my dealer and he said that they sale a mulching plate I can buy for 51.00 and put on the mower and mulch with it. Will the mower work good with the mulching plate on it? He said I should be able to use my regular blades and it should mulch fine. What do you guys think about this? Thanks.

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you can use a chute blocker mulch kit but I would also recommend that you buy Scag's Eliminator blades. These blades are amazing for mulching. Those other gator pieces of junk for mulching and don't compare. Try that first.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I never heard Scag calling the mulching blades eliminator- anyway get the mulch blades put on and you will be fine. IN the south we run those blades year round with the mulch plate on. Can't image running without a mulch plate in the metro areas, way to dangerous.

4. fyrewalker31

fyrewalker31 LawnSite Member

my lawncare service has a scag tiger cub with a 48" deck. we have the hurricane mulching system on it and it works real well. It only takes about 5 minutes to take the plate on or off and when mulching you can completely obliterate grass or mulch leaves in the winter time. better than bagging in my opion. Make sure you wear a mask though it does create alot of dust

5. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

You mow and mulch up leaves in the winter? :dizzy: heh...

6. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I do. Leaves fall from fall to summer here. Somethings always shedding. I have year round custmers that get service every two weeks right on through the winter.