Mulching with the Honda 21 HRC 216

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Jun 18, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have never had much luck mulching with this machine. My Exmark TTHP mulches excellent so what gives?

So I have been messing around and I have improved things substantialy. First I duck taped [yes duck tape] all the breather vents between the engine and deck closed. Good improvement. Next I removed the inner baffling ring that Honda uses as a channel to direct and increase velocity. This unbolts but I did take a grinder to the rear part so I could retain the block off to the gearbox. Another good improvement. I have all but eliminated my grass trail except in small sections of my thickest lawns, that clean right up with another pass. So this will work now . I am going to experiment with some blade combo's now. I have my druthers as whether Honda's double mulch blade will help as it drops the other blade in the deck. I used the stock Honda single blade sharpened to center which now contacts grass today.

So now I have to address blowout on both machines for picking up leaves, but I think I have the fix for that.

Tom