1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching with Toro 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I tool the deflectors out of my Proline 21 last fall in a attempt to keep leaves under the deck while bagging with a high lift blade.

My question is should I leave them out for mulching spring growth? Any body have a opinion on which way mulches better, and which way leaves less stragglers or has a better finish cut? Cut height is 2.5 to 2.75 inches.
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I took the kicker plates out last Spring when I had to bag and the bagger was giving me fits -- too much growth, too sappy. I left them out, and when I did do some grass mulching with them later, I saw no difference, in or out. I don't like the result of the Toro Proline mulching much, so only do it when there isn't very much growth.

In other years, I was very pleased with the leaf mulching result. I did not put the kickers back in for leaves, and it still did as good (equal?) job. I don't intend to put them back.