mulching with Wright Stander36-?-

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I've done the searches and read the threads, but...

Since Wright offers only the discharge block-off and no
    baffles (correct?) how does it mulch? How can it be easily improved ?

Also, since it is a fixed deck, what cutting height do you find to be 'best' , particularly for St. Augustine and Bermuda in the deep south and specifically central /south Florida? And do you get a lot of grief from customers who want a different height cut than your set height, and how do you deal with this ??

I'm thinking of it as a start-up mower (yes, at this time of year )
    (and I can say dumba$$ ) and am betting on this size deck to allow entry to 98% of the gates in Fl. Well, I can hope.

Thanks for your help and replies,
    Stephen

2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I just picked up a 42" stander and it fits thru every gate I have.
    As for the "proper mulch kit" mowerman90 will chime in and tell you where to get one that works. All I know is the full mulch kit is custom made by a dealer on the Florida Gulf coast.

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wright does not offer a mulching kit that I'm aware of. What they offer is a simple block-off plate. My dealer custom fabricates mulch kits for the mowers he sells. That's where I got mine and Tbarchaser got his. I spoke to my dealer just today and inquired if he would make mulch kits for people in other areas and ship them. His reply was no he wouldn't. He said he would not be comfortable not being involved in the final installation and there would be a liability issue. However, you should be able to fabricate your own if you know a half way decent metalworker/welder. Tbarchaser posted a picture of his, maybe he'll post some more for you to get the idea of how it's put together. It's not too complicated.

Down here in Central Fl I cut St Augustine at 3 3/4 to 4 in in the summer and 3 1/2 in the winter. Don't do any Bermuda other than a few bad lawns that have been overcome with wild Bermuda and they get cut the same as St Augustine.

When it comes to picky customers wanting their lawn cut at a specific height I smile, giggle the deck height adjustment lever, and then put it right back where I had it. I then ask if that's the way they want it and they say "yes, that's just right".

4. Who is that dealer in Florida? I'd like to find out how much those mulch kits cost and if they would ship them. Thanks.

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bluesteel,

Did you not read my post? He will not ship his mulch kit. I guess the only way you can get one from him is to buy a mower from him and have him put a mulch kit on it before you take delivery. Sorry.

6. LOL, duh. No I didn't read it. I had read your other posts about this kit and assumed you were just repeating for Tiger, so I skipped it. Sorry.

7. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

tiger !!! LOL !! Man , football seasons on the doorstep, and you say that to a Bama man ?!!! Whoa, you cut me to the quick !! (G)

Thanks to all for your replies. Tbarchaser, that is good to hear on the gate sizes.

Is the Stander usable as a mulcher at all as it comes stock with just
    the block-off plate, or should I plan to discharge only unless and until
    I can fab a baffle system?

Dang, mowerman90, thanks for the cut height info--I'd have been way off, cause I'd have set it at 3! But, that's why I asked (g).

Later,
    Stephen