mulching

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GroundUp, Jan 17, 2006.

1. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

What exactly is mulching?? again be specific. i have used search forum. but cant really find exactly what this is.. ALSO when i mow a lawn should i bag up clippings? or leave them on the lawn. If i bag them i bet this is more xpensive to the customer. so how should i charge for this. seeing as i would have to dispose of clippings. Please help with this. thank you.

2. PxPx

PxPx LawnSite Member

I'm glad you had the guts to ask this. I have been wondering this as well. I figured it would cost more to bag the clippings (where can you dispose of them also?!) I tried searching as well and couldn't find anything specific. Any ideas?

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

the chute of the mower is blocked, and special blades chop and re chop the clippings and disperse them back into the lawn, eliminating the need to bag, and also puts nutrients back int the soil

i do not bag clippings, i mulch or side discharge, if i had to bag the clippings i charge much more, a 35 dollar yard would be 50 or 55 dollars

many people here do bag the lawns, i guess it depends on the needs of your customers and your location

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

OK, mulching is basically recycling the grass clippings by chopping them up several times. We accomplish this by using mulching kits which block off each blade under the deck and by covering the discharge chute. I am not sure what mower(s) you are running but if you can get away with it, mulch each property, some grass types need to be bagged to look good but for others it will not make any difference. If you bag, charge more for it.

5. daveintoledo

this is the newb forum and anyone who makes fun of you can pound sand...
    :)

6. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

Lol. Thanks once again for all the help. I guess i could offer bagging. just charge them more (money money money). but I think for starters ill just cut the grass with a mulching kit. These expensive?

7. daveintoledo

or are you getting, how many accounts do you have...its kind of relivent to the equipment you use...

8. GroundUp

GroundUp LawnSite Member

42'' lesco

9. daveintoledo

i have read that mulch kits are available for 32,36,48. and 52 inch models.....id go to there web site and see, there may be some aftermarket brands that will work too..

10. PxPx

PxPx LawnSite Member

Yeah, I know:drinkup: . I am used to other forums (as you can see my post count is puny) where they flame you for anything and everything. I guess I wasn't thinking that we are mature adults here (I think!). Anyway, that makes sense to me now. I know what mulch is, and thought mulching was spreading mulch over the yard. But now I can see it never hurts to ask.