Mulching

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AndrewLawn, May 18, 2001.

1. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Wow,I was reading the "Advice on mulch" thread by lawnboy82,and I must say,it sounds like I was born to do that for a living.The profit numbers you showed were incredible.I have one question though,could a 15 year old guy(myself),and his friend charge that price for a job like that?And it seems like we'd really have to bust our As*es,not only doing the jobs,but finding them...are they hard to find?Do you have to be a professional to do that kind of work,or can you just call up the people to dump the mulch and be on your way to makin' the big bucks? please respond and answer honestly.

2. andrew's lawns- these figures are for a 30 yard mulch job. the mulch costs me 15 dollars a yard. anywhere else around here would be 30 per yard plus delivery which is anywhere from 25 - 40 dollars and up. i have to pay these people 450 dollars to get this stuff, they deliver. however getting 30 yards from them is the least amount that they will deliver. they are the cheapest around. red mulch over here cheapest i have seen is 26 a yard plus delivery. so whatever you are going to be making money off of is your labor. people are telling me on here that 4 guys can spread 30 yards in a day. i think that that is great. so my labor would be about 800 dollars just to apply, plus to get about 900 for the mulch. so it is a 1700 dollar job just to put it down. if you got some money to pay out for the materials and the labor go right ahead. just watch when you edge the gardens for any burried lines. and when you do the weeding make sure you dont pull up any desirable plants.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy good advice, andrew, it will be tough for you because of your age, people still think i'm too young at 1st until i provide them with pics. and companies i work for, when you do jobs take before and after pics. to show as reference to new potentail customers, it will only help you. this isn't all about money out here, this month i have had to shell out over 1k for mulch on 2 jobs out of my own pocket because of owner of 2 places i did mulch jobs for had to go out of town at the last second and her secritary didn't write me out a check in time for me to get to a bank on time to cash it. i did get the money when the bank did open on monday.
    its like a roller coaster it has its ups and downs. when you have your ups make sure you save as much as you can because the downs can seem like a long time.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I bill once a month for all maintenance work including mulching. I shell out a nice chunk of change every month just for mulch alone! You must have a constant stream of money to be able to make it.....