mulching

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tobyspur, Aug 5, 2006.

1. tobyspur

tobyspur LawnSite Member

When yall pro lanscapers say one yard of mulching does that mean one yard long by one yard wide or how much area is one yard actually. info would be greatly appreciated

2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

What we're referring to is a cubic yard. That's one yard wide, one yard long, one yard high. Equal to 27 cubic feet. Do a search on measuring mulch and you'll find lots of good reading material.

Hope this helps!

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Here in FLA a yard of mulch is eqv. to about 15 bags of mulch. When I go to the nursery to get mulch a yard is a small front end loaders bucket full, 1 bucket is a yard. I would say footage wise its about an area 12' long 5' wide at 3" deep aporx.

4. eruuska

12'x5'x3" = 15 cubic feet, just over half a yard. A full yard at 3" deep would be 108 square feet, or an area 12'x9'.

And a bag of mulch from one store may be different from a bag from another. The bag will tell you how many cubic feet it contains, and you can go from there.

It's also a big plus to make sure you have the math skills for figuring volume and area, converting from inches to feet, from cubic feet to cubic yards, etc.

5. martinfan06

Thats why I said APROXIMATELY or aprox. I dont measure my mulch out w/sqftage I was taught to look at the area and come up w/ how much I need old school style.:laugh: I guess seems to be a lost art:)

6. eruuska

I'm not trying to be a butt about it, but 15 cubic feet is not approximately a yard. I guess I'm not old school, as I was taught to measure and KNOW how much you need. I have to say, it's worked well for me so far.

7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with eruuska. Measuring beds is simple. Why guesstimate?

Martinfan, you need 2 of those buckets for a full cubic yard. Make sure your supplier isn't ripping you off.....

8. martinfan06

NO I wrote 1 bucket is a yard Ive been mulching for about 8 yrs probably over 200 mulch jobs and only 2 times I can recall I was short on my estimate. Like I said "I KNOW HOW MUCH AREA A YARD OF MULCH WILL COVER" I DONT NEED A TAPE MEASURE. So its hard to try to tell someone how "I" DO IT but I was just trying to help so sorry if my info wasnt very helpful to the original poster.

9. martinfan06

NO I wrote 1 bucket is a yard Ive been mulching for about 8 yrs probably over 200 mulch jobs and only 2 times I can recall I was short on my estimate. Like I said "I KNOW HOW MUCH AREA A YARD OF MULCH WILL COVER" I DONT NEED A TAPE MEASURE. So its hard to try to tell someone how "I" DO IT but I was just trying to help so sorry if my info wasnt very helpful to the original poster.