1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ron Marston, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Ron Marston

Ron Marston LawnSite Member
    from Maine

just wondering what evrybody charges for much it self and to install it ???
  2. Ron Marston

Ron Marston LawnSite Member
    from Maine

mulch/mulching sorry
  3. Nicdv1

Nicdv1 LawnSite Member

i double whatever it costs me.
  4. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

NICDV1 would that mean if you found mulch for $1 per yard you would apply it for $2 per yard? Or are you saying you mark the product up 2x and then charge for install?

We pay $12 per yard and we have it delivered and installed for somewhere between $50-$60 per yard depending on quantity and location.
  5. Nicdv1

Nicdv1 LawnSite Member

i usually buy mulch by the pallet as its easier to move around the job site, so if i buy 1 pallet at for example $150 i charge $300 for supply and installation, i cant think off hand but im sure theres 27 cubic feet to 1 yard, if a bought it at $1.00 a yard id still charge the bagged mulch prices, but the bigger the quantity or using more expensive mulches i start to drop the price.
  6. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

If I bought $150 worth of bulk mulch (12.5 yards) I would get $625 installed $475 gross minus $120 for the labor and expenses - $355.

How much mulch are you getting for $150

Basically we buy the economy mulch for $12 per yard, we mark that up to $15 and then charge $30 per yard to install (and we apply somewhere between 1.5 and 2 yards per hour with large wheelbarrows) and whatever delivery fees are associated with it.

More expensive mulches still get marked up 25% and applied at $30 per yard installed.
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

$75 delivered and installed w/ 3 yard min. We have to pay about $35 a yard here (my cost, non-contractors pay $43), not a great deal but it's all we have unless we want to mess with bags which cost $55 for a yard.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

wow we buy for 19 for root mulch a yard and 25 for died mulchs and charge $100 a yard delivered and installed
  9. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

We charge $65 dollars a yard for everything and that's $1.00 less than the big mulch survices we pay 20 bucks give or take per yard my cost. We still make money by spreading three yards an hour per man. It comes to about $100.00 an hour after labor and mulch with a three man crew.
  10. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

90 a yard of triple ground
    110 a yard for hardwood
    140 a yard for ceder
    150 a yard for hemlock
    prices are delivered and installed