Mulching.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SouthernCutter, Mar 4, 2008.

1. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I am just wondering about what yall pay for a yard of brown mulch, and a yard of black mulch. and then what yall charge to lay it by yard?

2. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

where do you get your mulch from ? and the price you pay ?

3. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

I am sure you will get some responses but I would search within the Network With People From Your Area or just search for a TN thread and post there, this way you will get prices from your area. Also do a search on your what people charge for it installed - this topic has been brought up and discussed throughly. I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

Charging for mulch installed ALL DEPENDS ON SITE CONDITIONS:

Are there large trees and shrubs (dump and spread with a rake) or maybe a ton of perennials and annuals (hand tossing). Or can you use a skid loader or does all the mulch have to be wheelbarrowed in? Flat or steep slope.

I understand that you are trying to see what others are paying and charging but just cover your costs add your desired profit and treat each site individually.

4. SouthernCutter

I am trying to find somewhere around here with good prices. I can get it for $29 a yard at creekside, and that is midnight mulch. Or i could get brown mulch for $13 at Ellenburg. Where in TN are you?

5. 1wezil

from tn

the mulch company in Knoxville sells the midnight mulch for a lot less if you give them a copy of your business license.

6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Basic all-natural hardwood, triple-ground fresh- $13/yard
    Seasoned, natural shreaded dark brown- $21/yard
    pine straw- 4.50-5.00/bale

Won't spread rock!

Per yard installed and delivered, I try and get 95-110/yd. Charge what your market can bear.

7. SouthernCutter

well guys, i figured i would go for it, i told someone 75 dollars for a yard of black mulch spread, and she said ok.I thought that was going to be high considering im only 16 and my buddy is 20, and most people dont look at us like we are old enough to be professional) I thought that would do doing good considering its only me and my buddy and it comes out to 210 dollars in labor, so we each make 105 for a couple hours of work.

Do yall think that sounds pretty good?
    And the whole age/professional thing is a whole nother topic that pisses me off.

8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You gonna pay any taxes on that $105??

9. 1wezil

from tn

what kind of tax do you want him to pay ?

10. 1wezil

from tn

just woundering where are you going to buy your mulch from ?