Mulching

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by puffyhead929, May 27, 2008.

1. puffyhead929

puffyhead929 LawnSite Member

What does it take to get into mulching?

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

as in installing mulch around plants? a wheelbarrow, shovel, and a strong back.

3. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

That about sums it up.

4. puffyhead929

How do you get it to the house. Do you need a certain kind of trailer or do you have them deliver it?

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

most companies deliver, but you can fit 2-3 cubic yards on the trailer you have now, just make some cheap plywood sides that go on/off easily. mulch is fairly light, easy to haul. heck, if you put 4' sides on it i bet you could almost get 4 yards on it.

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

a wheelbarrow a shovel and a rake to spread it

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

To mulch properly you need an edging shovel, pitch fork, large shovel, wheel barrow, garden rake, leaf rake, and a blower to clean off driveway if you dump the mulch on it.
    Any trailer will work as long as mulch does not fall off. Your also going to need to know how to measure beds for mulch. You don't want to find yourself with 3 extra yards of mulch in the driveway and no way of removing it from the property.

8. puffyhead929

Thanks for the help my trailer has 2 foot sides so that should help

9. McGaw

McGaw LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I usually have them deliver. Simply because I can't legally drive. I would get a big wheelbarrow, some gloves haha, shovel, landscaping rake, and I always like to have a big shovel. Something like this:
    http://www.avalanche-center.org/store/images/ll-pit-boss.jpg
    I'm sure that link won't work but it's worth a try.

O. If your ever dumping more than one thing. I always put a tarp down for the one thing. This way if the gate breaks and some of the other product comes and get's mixed in, you just pull the tarp with the whatever on, and there is still the other product. Not as much picking through it. I've learned from experience. I've also used a skidsteer, lawn tractor, and loader to apply products. alot faster, but with the price of fuel it's gotta take quite a few yards before I'll use them.

10. puffyhead929

How much do you charge per cubic yard