mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass1, Mar 16, 2002.

1. grass1

grass1 LawnSite Member

:confused: :confused: How do u guys figure out how many yards Of mulch to order for a job?? I always come up short thanks

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if u do the math right u shuold be right, always get a tab bit more

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

it is supposed to be 1/yd will cover a10ftx10ft area 2" deep. I've found this to work out pretty well. Just figure how deep you need it to be and go from there. Get a good quality mulch that has been double shredded-- it spreads much easier and no chunks to try and hide thus saving you more time.

4. jbt

jbt LawnSite Member

One yard of mulch, depending on how thick you spread it, will cover: 324 square feet at 1 inch thick or 262 square feet at 2 inches thick, or 108 square feet at 3 inches thick. New beds should be at least 3 inches thick

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I always mulch to a depth of 1 1/2 in. So I take the total sq ft of the area and divide by 243. Harvestman

6. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Thanks jbt you're right I meant 3" will cover approximately 100 sq/ft. -- dont want to give out the wrong info

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's easy:

1. Estimate what you think you need.
    And/or
    2. Measure the areas.
    And/or
    3. Have someone else give you their estimate.

Done...

8. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

9. grass1

grass1 LawnSite Member

:D thanks that helps out alot. What is the average amount of time u guys spend spreading a yard mulch thanks :confused:

10. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how far you have to move it. Such as from the truck or pile to the bed. We generally figure one to three man hour per yard of mulch. Completely open bed area near the pile/truck, less than one man hour. In perennial/annual beds with a lot of hand spreading, over two hours. Don't forget to figure in clean up time.