mulching

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mowslot54, May 16, 2010.

1. mowslot54

mowslot54 LawnSite Member

Im looking to start doing mulch jobs. Couple of questions..
    Do you buy mulch in the bags or in bulk from a local dist.?
    How do you bid a mulching job?
    Say a bag of mulch is $2..do you charge the customer $3 for that bag of mulch + labor?
    Any tips appreciated!

2. I double the bag price and add in pickup/delivery. A $2 bag of mulch will be $4 to put down. I do by the bag.

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

First off, buy in bull. Wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper! Then Chare 90$ per yard installed
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ajslands

Oh you will need to know the formula for calculating how much you need. I think it's like 3*27*sq ft
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mowslot54

How do you figure square yardage? Just use a tape? And how thin/thick do you spread it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Buying in bags is not the worst thing in the world. Small jobs with lots of raised planters or lots of steps to climb. Not that Im recomending you do so, but if your using bags...try to find the 3 cubic foot ones to minimize labor.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

you want to find the square footage. 3 inches is an good amount.

8. mowslot54

Alright. And your saying then Charge 90$ for the entire yard for labor then add in the cost of mulch? So like 90$ for 4 beds plus mulch costs? Or 90$ per yard of mulch layed?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ajslands

Wait for install or redressing it? Install you'll want about 4" and then 2-3" for redressing, you can use a tape but I did that once and will never do it again, I went put and bought one of those wheels.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ajslands

That's what I charge, that includes delivery, mulch, instalation, bed edging, clean up, But that is also buying in bulk. Oh that also is for equipment used too
    Posted via Mobile Device