Mulching

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by J.Henderson, Sep 8, 2002.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson LawnSite Member

I was wondering that with leaf season coming up, it might be easier to mulch than pick them all up. My question is-could I just bolt a piece of metalplateover the discharge chute to mulch or do I really have to get a mulch kit to work?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

J.Henderson,

Truthfully it really comes down to individual preferences and what's best for the lawn.

Adding a plate only will generally leave a trail of ground up clippings in a nice even straight line at the discharge side of the machine. It doesn't leave the lawn looking particularly good, it's not the healthiest thing to do for the lawn and your customers may or may not like it if your cutting commercially.

The mulch kit on the other hand keeps the clippings in the chamber with the blade that is lifting them and cutting them and then deposits the clippings deeper into the turf where they are not seen. The clippings can also decompose to become nutrients for the lawn when they are deep in the lawn.

So there's your choice. A mulch kit for say $150-$200 that actually mulches, leaves clippings that can break down and be useful. The Mulch kit also leaves the lawn looking much nicer and cleaner. The alternative will cost you much less, doesn't leave the lawn looking very well, leaves a pile of clippings on the top of the lawn, offers little if any nutrient value and may or may not be accepted by your customers.

Good luck

Terry