Mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Oct 15, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I would like to get into laying mulch. I want to branch out a bit more from just doing the cutting side of things. My question is, how do you know how much much you would need for a job? Do you guys measure it out with a desiring wheel? Do you guess how much would be needed, then end up having to go and get more or have to much.

Also how do you price the work out? Would like to hear from some Florida guys on this too.

Is it better to do loose or bag mulch?

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve

2. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I'm going to re-post the question. I see mistakes in there:

I would like to get into laying mulch. I want to branch out a bit more from just doing the cutting side of things. My question is, how do you know how much mulch you would need for a job? Do you guys measure it out with a messing wheel? Do you guess how much would be needed, then end up having to go and get more or have to much.

Also how do you price the work out? Would like to hear from some Florida guys on this too.

Is it better to do loose or bag mulch?

Thanks for your help guys.

Steve

3. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to start expanding some services too, and have looked into mulch a little. I'm no expert on the subject yet, but I think it's supposed to be about 3 inches deep, and if you buy it by the bag it will say aproximately how many square feet the bag covers based on how deep the mulch is.

4. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

I started doing mulch this year. To me it was a pain in the #@$%. I prefer doing the bags over mulch but it cost more. There are several sites on the internet with "mulch calculators". They will tell you how to measure beds and the formulas used to determine haow much mulch is needed. Try a search on this forum under " mulch calculator". It works great.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too prefer bags over bulk. Sure it costs more, but it's easy to move it to an area, it isn't a mess, and also there are no other added material to the mulch from loading it (sod, grass, other bark/mulch, etc.)

The last time that I went bulk was about 7 years ago. When they loaded it at the end of the day I filled up 1/4 of my pickup with sod and clay that they scooped up with the pile. Let's just say that I was a little mad.