Mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Nov 14, 2000.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting ready to buy a nearly new 36" exmark hydro w/b. It is in excellent cond. It has a mulching kit installed on it. I told the dealer to take it off. Is this a mistake? Should I tell him to leave it on instead? Is mulching a good way to go? Thanks for any help. The cost of this machine is $2300.00.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Give it a try. If you don't like it take it off. My first Grasshopper came with a mulching kit. But in really long grass (an every other week cut) it had a hard time. I took it off and have never put it back on. Try it on the leaves.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Leave it on. My turf tracer came with the kit in 96 and has never been removed, with excellent results.

4. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Leave it on it doesn't take very long to take it off if you don't like it. The Exmark mulching kit does an excellent job if you have fairly dry conditions. It sounds like you are getting a pretty good price. My last used hydro cost 1600 bucks but it had about 1000 hours on it, no problems though.

5. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

By the way how did you find the used mower. Does anybody have any other resources other than the used section here on lawnsite. My only luck has been watching the classifieds for the very seldom use lawn equipment that pops up.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE