Mulching

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by csj1, Apr 29, 2004.

1. csj1

csj1 LawnSite Member
    from ID

When mulching with gator blades is it better to not use the baffled mulching kit? I am running a Fast Track 20hp 52 inch deck.

Thanks.

CJ

2. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Try it both ways. I stick with mulching blades year-round (also prefer the added maneuverability of not having the discharge chute in the way). Around the glass patio (and when mulching leaves) I keep my adjustable side plate at maximum lowest position (for best mulching and protection against projectiles). Otherwise I raise it (or remove it) to avoid clumping/clogging. In my intermittently mowed overgrown areas I also remove the inner baffle for maximum side discharge.

3. csj1

csj1 LawnSite Member
    from ID

Are you removing just the baffle on the discharge shoot or all of them? I mowed my front yard this evening with all of them removed and the result was a bit worse.

CJ

4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I have 3 parts on mine. The inner baffle (mounted under the deck) only comes off when I'm doing semi-annual mowing (in the 2-4' tall back section). Otherwise, it stays on (to better circulate clippings for finer mulching). My discharge cover (2nd part) also has an adjustable vented extension (3rd part). I use the extension in max (lowest position) for mulching leaves (and for best mulching of short, dry grass (also provides max projectile protection). I raise up (or remove) the extension if clogging/clumping becomes a problem. I remove the solid discharge cover (allowing unobstructed dispersal of clippings) only if the previous step does not alleviate the clogging. Don't do this if you're worried about discharging debris (around cars, neighbors, patios/decks, etc) unless you replace the side-discharging cover (which I'm too lazy to do in my rather rural area). Hope this helps...

5. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Forgot to mention the double-cutting option. Mow/mulch at a higher cutting height and then redo at your desired height. This can lead to excessive build-up of clippings (mulching is best when you mow often enough to keep the grass from getting too tall). This goal of slow growth also gives me an excuse for never watering or fertilizing (and mowing high) and has allowed the native buffalograss to slowly take over the previous owner's bermuda.