Mulching

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Old Guy, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer Z HP 52" purchased in 2001. We have had a very wet May and June this year and mulching was more like "clumping" than mulching. So I took off the mulching kit for a couple of months and that problem was solved.

Last week I put the mulching kit back on with new mulching blades. Rather than being mulched, the grass blades just seem to be cut and dropped in the grass. Looks like I just blocked the discharge chute and used regular blades. We ended up raking each lawn to get it to look like we wanted. Mulching last year seemed to be fine.

I first checked the mulch kit installation and it seems to be OK. Put on new blades and got the same result. Motor seems to be running at the proper speed (it sounds like it is) and was checked over the winter by my dealer.

I put on the blow out baffle last fall for leaf muching. I still have it on the deck. Should I removed the baffle or am I over looking some obvious thing I've screwed up? Any help would be appreciated.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Old Guy,

From what your telling me the only thing that has changed on the mower is the addition of the anti-blow out baffle. For this reason I'd remove it.

Also are you noticeing any excessive blow out now?

Thanks

Terry

3. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

The anti-blowout baffle solved any blowout I was having except for this blowout on the rear left side I'm now experiencing. Nothing out of the front.

Could my belt be slipping? I have about 400 hours on this belt. Is there a rule of thumb as to how often the belt should be changed? Wear on the belt is about the only other thing that has changed from last summer.

4. eXmark

Old guy,

It could be the belt but it doesn't give all the normal signs. It's certianly worth a try.

If the belt is slipping it'll be hard and shiny. As a general rule I'd replace a deck belt every spring whether it needed it or not (if I was cutting commercially anyway) just to make sure the mower was always running it's best.

Thanks

Terry

5. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

Thanks, Terry. I'll have a talk with my dealer about replacing the belt. I've noticed some skipping too in the last week. I double checked the rake on the deck and it is good so maybe the belt is the answer. Thanks for your interest.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

I got a new belt from my dealer thinking anyone can change a belt - right? So I have a question. Is there a secret as to how to release the spring that is attached to the idler pully? Looks like that thing could knock a finger off if it let go unexpectantly. Or is this something I should just let the dealer due and pay the price?

7. eXmark

Old guy,

It's pretty simple once you can see how everything is put together. Things are pretty tight so it's tough to see what is really going on.

First you'll want to remove the trim side belt shield. This will allow you to grab the belt on either side of the trim side spindle pulley and pull the belt toward you while lifting it off the pulley. (I would remove the discharge side shield as well just to make the installation of the belt easier). With the belt removed from one pulley you should be able to remove it from all except the deck idler pulley. For that you'll need to remove the bolt holding the strap steel between the pully and the idler pivot. Remove the bolt at the pivot and not at the idler pulley. Then replace the belt and reverse the order that your removed any hardware and shields. If you would like you can give me a call at 800-667-5296 and I can walk you through it over the phone.

Thanks

Terry