Mulcing with Triton Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtkplc, Jul 15, 2007.

1. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm interested to find out how the Triton deck mulches. Does anyone have experience with it? Thanks...
  2. jtkplc

Out of 58,000+ members on here, someone must have experience mulching with the Triton deck.
  3. AAR Lawn Services

AAR Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I don't have much experience as I just started my business and just purchased this mower a couple weeks ago, but I'm already looking into buying the mulching kit for it.
  4. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I love them, I have 95 hours on my 50" Triton and 110 on my 66" and they both mulch great and cut great!
  5. FyrFyt

FyrFyt LawnSite Member

AAR and gilatplc, I have a 50" triton. 2006 model with the 27hp Kholer. I am having less than desirable results mulching. lots of stringers. I am in FL also and wondered what blades you are using etc. I am trying to pinpoint the problem.
  6. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i'm in south LA.... i have two 2006 models.... a 46 and 66 inch triton both with the updated kits for faster blade tip speed. i too am having less than desireable results.... but only as of late. i dont know if it's cuz all the rain we've been getting is makin the grass really thick but it's leaving more clumps than i'm used to. i've been cutting most of my weekly yards at 3.5 inches and it still leaves chunks of grass so im having to pass over it twice... sometimes 3 times.
  7. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

In my experience I notice I get alot more stringers the higher I cut at. I beleive this is due to vaccum. The higher your blade is from the meat of the grass the less the stubborn thick heads get pulled up for the cut. They just get blown around and bent, most times the tip just gets cut off. When I have a problem with stringers I drop my cut about a half inch and it does much better. If your cutting a high bladed grass this might hurt you more especially during dry spells. Use your best judgement.
  8. jtkplc

Anyone with experience from cutting northern grasses?
  9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yes i have had the same problem but like the previous post, drop the deck its all about vacuum, try some high lift blades they will pull it up even more
  10. FyrFyt

FyrFyt LawnSite Member

Might have to find some higher lift blades. The St Augustine here gets cut at 4 to 4.25 on average due to the heat. That may be the problem, now I need to find some answers. Any one know where to get some blades for the 50". I can post my findings.