Mule belt confusion

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Keith, May 20, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 2003 Lazer EPS 60" and have a question about the mule drive belt. The belt my owners manual calls for is 103-3097. I went to pick one up from a dealer in Orlando today and they said it had been superceded by another part number, 103-4014. So that is the belt I came home with. Now, curiosity sometimes causes me more trouble than it's worth, but on the way home, I could not help but wonder if I got the right belt. It would be just the luck to drive an hour to get it and an hour back and get the wrong thing. It's happened before.

So when I got home I went to look up my part number on Exmark's website and it shows "for 103-3097 use 103-4092 (kit)." Kit???? My serial # is 393,xxx. It also shows, in the exploded view parts list, use 103-4014 for 399,000 -up. Use 103-4092 for SN 370,000 – 398,999. So, I have the wrong belt, don't I?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Keith,
    You have the right belt, 103-4014. The kit # 103-4092 includes the 103-4014belt and an instruction sheet to insure it was properly installed.
    Brian

3. Keith

Thanks Brian. On that instruction sheet that comes with the kit, is there anything I need to know? Any adjustments or anything?

Thanks

4. eXmark

Keith,
    Maybe this attachment might help.
    Brian

Attached Files:

5. Keith

Thanks Brian

6. Keith

Was the purpose of the new belt to standardize, so that one belt could be used on more models? If so, I guess it makes some sense. But to have to move the deck forward to make a belt fit seems a bit odd from several standpoints. For one, as simple as those instructions look, they are a bit deceiving. If you have a mower that is a few years old, expect a knuckle buster. I had the mower on ramps to do the belt, but discovered you would have to use carefully placed jack stands and it is really helpful to remove the wheels to be able to get at the strut ends and lock nuts.

The second thing, I don't think pushing the deck forward is helping anything, even if it is just 5/16". I have always felt the shorter the distance between the drive tires and the deck, the better. Now it is farther than before and the chains hang at an angle. I really think they tried to reinvent the wheel here. I did not see any problems with the previous model belt, I think it would have been just fine to keep it around. Or even make slighly bigger mule drive idlers pulleys, or something. But shifting the deck forward???

7. Keith

I've got another few questions about these belt part numbers.

What was the length of the belt that my manual called for? (103-3097)

What is the length of 103-4014?

What is the length of 633173? The one for mowers below #370,000

I have had a cutting issue ever since making the necessary adjustments and installing 103-4014. This adjustment moved the deck closer to the front wheels and I am getting uncut stringers that follow a perfect path right behind the front tires.

8. eXmark

Have you checked the rake on the deck?

9. Keith

I haven't messed with anything else on it yet, other than swapping blades. I know I had a good cutting mower before, and now I have a problem. I'd just as soon try the original length belt before I try anything else. Put the deck back where it was, and if that doesn't change anything, then I would be willing to look at the usual suspects.

10. eXmark

Okay I will try to help here. I'm a service guy so I may get a little techy!!

The change we made to machines 370,000 and higher that affected the mule belt was the clutch diameter. We went to a larger clutch diameter so we could extend the mule belt life. The belt we went with is what we would call a standard belt length. All we had to do is shorten the struts. What we found was that this was not an ideal set-up. Do to manufacturing tolerances in the belts and our weldments we could have a scenario of the mule belt idler arm crashing into the engine deck. This would only happen with a brand new belt on the short side of the tolerance, we couldn't shorten the struts any more. Basically over tensioning the belt was the issue.

So.... we re-adjusted the struts out where they were and changed the belt length. We have a belt tension guide by the idler arm for the mule drive. It talks about it in you operators manual, 2 holes in the plate that your idler arm is bolted to.

Your cutting issues could be a number of things that we would have to check and measure. I can try to help you, it would be best to give me a call. Or your best bet is get the machine into your dealer. Thanks Fred.....I hope this helps.

Fred Fugett
    Customer Service Representitive
    402-223-6270
    fred.fugett@exmark.com