Mule Drive Came Unscrewed!!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by grasssin, Jul 28, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing a really overgrown field today, deck all the way up then going back over it at 3.5" and my deck started to vibrate. Stopped the engine looked under the mower, and my mule drive pulley from the engine had come unbolted!!!

The mule drive pulley was just hanging there, how in the heck did a three inch bolt come undone?!?!?!?

Lucky for me I found the bolt and washers and had to pick it up with a t shirt. Will put it back on tomorrow, I just wanted to know how this could have happened. I dont wont to pay $35 for a bolt and washer set when it does it again.

I already have lost a scalp roller this way. I had the rollers set at 2.75 and was mowing at 2.75 and somehow it came off and of course I rolled over it. That is not something you want to run over trust me, which was a nice $25 to replace.

Any suggestions?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Grassin,

I've never heard of one coming loose but in theory every fastener should be checked at a minimum of once per year. With all the rotating assemblies on a mower there are several vibrations that pass through the machine and componants. These vibrations can cause any fastener to come loose over time.

The rollers are something we do hear from time to time and we hope to have a better solution in time.

How old is the machine?

Terry

3. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

Bought March of this year.

2004 Lazer Z HP 21 Kawi, 48"

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

do those have locktite on the threads? that's a loooong bolt to have back all the way out.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Grassin,

I'd have the dealer take a look at it the next time your in. I'd probably want him to look at the belt with the machine running as well to see if there is excessive belt shake indicating an issue with a belt or pulley that could have caused some excessive vibration. Some belt shake is acceptable.......actually quite a bit but he should be able to tell what is "normal" and what is excessive.

Thanks

Terry