Mulling something over (i'm MAD)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

This lady pulls up and asks me about lawn care, she lives right next door to one of my customers. So I give her a price, she asks if there is any contracts to sign , I say NO.

She phones me lets me know to go ahead and start cutting her grass I said I'll be doing her neighbour again tommorrow and I'll cut them together.

So the next day I arrive and her grown son is in the driveway washing his car, I do my first customer then, when I walked to the new customer the guy says, "not sure if my mom talked to you but she changed her mind and doesnt want the grass cut. she only was worried about it because I've been too busy to cut it for the last couple weeks."

So I phoned his mommy right there and there was no answer, I gave the son a couple dirty looks, basically I got angry and almost cut the damn grass anyway. I phoned a couple more times with no answer before I cooled down. That was yesterday. I still haven't talked to the lady, for all I know she might be thinkning I missed it, or she used me to motivate her son to cut it... I'm still a little choked but it doesnt sit right with me being fired by her son.

2. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Leave a message saying you came to cut it and the situation... She wont wonder then...

3. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

It wasn't that much of a loss, you did cut your customer's lawn right. I feel your pain and all, but that is just a part of this game.The son probably felt bad that his mom had to pay to get her yard done. She might call you later - she might not be a regular but it will still be a plus in case you cut them both at the same time.

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Use a contract next time or stop whining about it. You get what you ask for.

5. Freddy_Kruger

Yeah I just read customer is always right, don't create any bad blood it would only poison any future business like snow, windows, eave cleaning....

I'll pretend I don't care but I am glad I didn't talk to her yesterday.

No answering machine btw.

6. Freddy_Kruger

You be quiet Mr. Internet Tough Guy. Talk like that in person to someone sometime.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Ha how is a contract help they are not worth the paper they are wrote on, it just gives a cause for work and payment they can end work anytime.

8. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Yea so if he had the contract and he cut the lawn when she didnt want him to... Lets say its a $30 lawn and she doesnt pay u gonna take her to court?

i wont ever use a contract for maintenance if i need to use a contract on a pita i dont want that customer if a customer doesnt like my work and uses the contract against me i dont want to be servicing there lawn for the remainder of the contract

big jobs and installs are a diff story

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Why be mad??? They're just some flaky people, the likes of which you will encounter again and again, you'll get better at spotting them in the future.

10. Freddy_Kruger

Exactly, thats the way I should look at it. I had this guy during power raking who told me he was a senior but he looked 50, lol. I raised his price $15 but didnt' charge him GST, lol.