Multi-Function Weed Eaters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JB Lawn Services, Jan 7, 2000.

1. JB Lawn Services

JB Lawn Services Banned

As mentioned earlier I am starting out a lawn business and I noticed there are such tools as &quot;Multi-Function&quot; weed eaters. You simply snap off the weed eating head and replace it with such utinsels as a blower, edger, shrub cutter, bush trimmer, etc. Are these machines reliable and do they do a good job?<p>I have seen a Homelite expandable weed eater, and a Ryobi - which one is better?<p>Thanks,<br>JB Lawn Services

2. Hello:<br> I never used them but I now own a repair shop for past 8 years & I have a strong mechanical background. Probably no one cares either but I will tell you what I know.<p>If you are going to make a living at this buy something at a Outdoor Power Equipment Dealership. I would recomend Echo, Stihl, Shinindawa or something commercial.<p>On a Homelite or Ryobi comparing them say to a Echo it don't matter. You can take up to about 7 or 8 human hairs lay them over down into the cylinder & drop the piston straight through it. Put 1 to 2 human hairs & do that to a Echo & the piston won't go through. <p>Thats why a 21cc-23cc Echo, Stihl or Shinindawa will run circles around one of the others that has 30cc to 35cc engines on them. I think you will find out they also don't turn up the RPM's either, the big boys turn up 9000 plus RPM's the others 6000 plus RPM's. <p>If they could turn up 9000 plus get on the other side of the wall or let one of your inlaws try it. Make sure you got one of them $1,000,000 accidential death policys that you can buy over the phone for $9.95 a month on them in your name & you could retire early.<p>If something goes wrong with the engine, how many other pieces have you got now that don't work and your out there trying to make the big bucks. Let the homeowners buy the put together & take apart pieces. <p>Hey that's all I know. Hey wait a minute heres one more thing I call it fruit for thought.<br>&quot;It's easier to opollogize for price now, than quality down the road.&quot; <p>Oh I know theres probably somebody thats got a homelite thats cut a colledge campus for the past 30 years with one they bought on sale at gibsons discount center but don't listen to them. Gas powered trimmers didn't come out until early 70's I know because I was there. He was a hippy that had a can with pieces of wire through it & it was attached to a shaft on a washing machine motor. I wish you the best in business!<p> <p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Have a nice day!!!!!<br>http://www.lawnservicing.com<br>

3. JB Lawn Services

JB Lawn Services Banned

I appreciate the advice so far...but what I would like to know is if these devices work well and are worth the money. Does the expansion edger work; how about the other add-ons? <p>Thanks again,<br>JB Lawn Services

4. Reply:<br> I'm sorry I was just trying to help I must have miss understood you & I got carried away!<p>&gt;I appreciate the advice so far...&lt;<br>Your welcome.<p>&gt;but what I would like to know is if these devices work well&lt; <br>They work OK if your a homeowner but if your trying to make a living with them, they make great tinker toys when you have nothing else to do!<p>&gt;and are worth the money.&lt; <br>Yes if you can buy it & all of the attachments for less than $99 + no more than 7% sales tax.<p>&gt;Does the expansion edger work;how about the other add-ons? <br>They work ok. We work on them all the time.<p><p><br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Have a nice day!!!!!<br>http://www.lawnservicing.com

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I agree 100% with Grass Master. Stay away from homelite and Ryiobi. For commercial work. The the other good equipment he mentioned and their attachments will do the job as advertised. Except for the blower. I don't even know how that would work as an attachment.<br>Charles<br>

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

JB, what Grass Master is telling you is, NO they are not good for our work. If they were, we would all have them. Get the best string trimmer you can afford and buy a used edger. You won't be using it that much. The blower setup on what your talking about, probably wouldn't blow out a candle. Get a good one. You need dependable equipment, not home owner junk.<p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

7. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

to clarify a little further as to what the original post is trying to say, &quot;do the two in one trimmers work well&quot; he now knows not to use the homeowner equip. but what about the commercial interchangeable equipment. Stihl and Echo make trimmers that can add-on edgers, sweepers, hedgers, etc... I am also looking into this so I to would like to know. At the company I currently work for, we have the stihl model. It has worked very well but, we don't use it a whole lot. Echo has an attachment system that interchanges much quicker than the stihl. Stihl takes 2-3 min. Echo about 20 secs. I have heard some people swear by the Echos. Oh well, this should start to help answer the guys question if any of you use this type of equip.<br>

8. Hello I'm back!<br>&gt;I have seen a Homelite expandable weed eater, and a Ryobi - which one is better?&lt;<br>I would use Ryobi.<p>&gt;to clarify a little further as to what the original post is trying to say, &quot;do the two in one trimmers work well&quot; he now knows not to use the homeowner equip. but what about the commercial interchangeable equipment.&lt;<br>They work OK if your a homeowner but if your trying to make a living with them, they make great tinker toys when you have nothing else to do!If something goes wrong with the engine, how many other pieces have you got now that don't work and your out there trying to make the big bucks. Let the homeowners buy the put together & take apart pieces. <p>&gt;I have heard some people swear by the Echos. Oh well, this should start to help answer the guys question if any of you use this type of equip.&lt;<br>Everthing above this is quotes from my previous post.<p>Your first sentence says it all in the above about people swearing by them! <p>I'm certified by the factory on all of the above trimmers as factory autorized repair & warranty center& I don't need to be showing favorites on one brand or another. This could cause me problems. I thought I was honest & sincere in my first post. I wasn't trying to cause problems. Even if I disliked or hated someone I would never lie or mislead someone no matter what, I take busines, work & life serious but I like to have fun also. <p>There are plenty of people here that know me & can vouch for my advice & reputation. I didn't come here yesterday or last year I've been here since early stages of Lawnicure. My site has been up since late 1996. I have answered 1000's of e-mails & will continue. <p>I do not post that much anymore because of the last 3 post I have made. I have been mis quoted. I have seen mention of other post about poor work. I never said poor work. Yes I cut corners when people owe me money. I would like to say of all the properties that I had year round agreements I never walked off of one that had more 2 1/2&quot; of growth on the bushes max, how many others can say that.<p>I have contributed a lot to the lawn service industry helping others. Way over 2000+ hours & over $1500 in expenses & as of now this greedy webmaster has grossed $625.00.<p>Chuck Keogh, Erick Erickson & Jim Lewis have all gave time to help everybody also. I forgot to mentian you others becuse I do not remember all your names.<p>Chuck I hope I spelled your name right. Chuck has done a lot for 1000's in the Green Industry & he deserves more than what he gets! <p>Again &quot;Thats all I know&quot; I'll keep on trying-------- Oh No It's the SPAMCOP I got to go, I'm sure glad I do not go by my real name or the equipment Manufactures will get this info and I will not be able to do warrnty work & I'll loose my shop & I'll have to cut grass again & I'll have a life & I''ll make money again!<p>Later<p><p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Have a nice day!!!!!<br>http://www.lawnservicing.com

9. MowerUp

MowerUp LawnSite Member
    from NC

I do some commerical work and have two Ryobi's. I'm not sure they will go the long hall, but I got a real deal on them on a close out of a store. <p>If you want the commerical line, Echo is probably the best. As far as add on attachments, I think they are great. I have an edger, blower, bush trimmer, tree pruner, and hedge trimmer that all work very well. The edger works well on edges that have been maintained on a regular basis. Many companies will try to sell you a different product for each of these. It would be to your best interest to find the machine you want with the add on attachment capability. It only makes good sense. As far as the blower goes, I use that attachment more than any other. It is much lighter that the backpacks and much cheaper. Grant it, it doesn't blow as fact, but it works well for me. <br>

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

HI, HOMER HERE, I STARTED OFF USING A RYOBI WITH AN EDGER ATTACHEMENT, IT WORKED FINE THEN, BUT I HAD NOT USED A STIHL YET!! THERE IS A VERY LARGE DIFFERENCE. THE RYOBI WILL THROW ROCKS AND DEBRIS ALL OVER YOU WHEN YOU EDGE. THE SPOOL IS SO HARD TO GET OFF YOU NEED TO KEEP A PAIR OF VISE GRIPS WITH YOU. IF YOU ARE GOING IN BUSINESS, GO IN BUSINESS, YOU CAN'T HALF A-- IT. I AM RECOMMENDING STIHL BECAUSE THATS WHAT I HAVE, NOT THAT THE OTHER COMMERCIAL BRANDS ARE NO GOOD. I DO HAVE AN ECHO BACKPACK BLOWER AND A STIHL 400 BACKPACK. THE STIHL SEEMS LIKE IT WEIGHS 20 lbs. LESS THAN THE ECHO AND BLOWS STRONGER. MY RYOBI IS NOW IN THE BASEMENT COLLECTING DUST. THE BOTTOM LINE IS----------YOU HAVE GOT TO SPEND SOME MONEY!! IT AIN'T LIKE YOU WON'T GET IT BACK. THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU SAVE USING PROFESSIONAL GRADE EQUIPMENT WILL ASTOUND YOU. IT DID ME WHEN I STEPPED UP. QUALITY IS PARAMOUNT, BUT SPEED IS ESSENTIAL TO MAKE IT IN THIS BUSINESS, START OFF WITH THE BEST AND YOU WON'T FEEL INFERIOR WHEN THE BIG BOYS RIDE BY.