multi purpose tools...Stihl-vs-shindiawa

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kippert, Apr 22, 2004.

1. kippert

kippert LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a new multi purpose toolhead...ie one that can handle an edger, pole pruner, cultivator, hedge trimmer..ect...

I am mainly interested in stihl and shindiawa...do any of you guys have any prefrence ..any help would be appriciated..thanks

2. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Have the Shin PAS 260. Very happy so far. have paddles, cultivator,edger, brush cutter and picked up the hedge trimmer yesterday @$169.00. Don't know about the Stihl.

3. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I have the shindaiwa and the Red Max multi purpose tool heads. The shindaiwas is far better than the red max, and their is no loss for power. If you are going to put a power broom or chainsaw on it, then go with the biggest engine you can get.

Adam

4. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

2 guys I know both bought the Stihl Kombi unit with the straight shaft edger and weedeater attachment. Both are very happy with the power and the convience of the 85 engine.

The few times I have used their Stihl multi-tools I have been impressed with the power. I think they are a pretty good deal and give you a lot of flexibility for the money without having to have separate powerheads for each tool you buy.

The only negative thing I can think of is the unit is significantly heavier than it's dedicated counterparts. I have the FC85 stick edger and the KM85 with the straight shaft edger is probably a pound or 2 more than my FC85. It may make a difference if you have a smaller frame and expect to use the tool all day long.

5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Get the shindi. combi unit the head on the hedge trimmer pivots both ways on it. The stihl just pivots one way.

6. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Teff's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

We got the Sthil combi tool this spring, with the paddle attach., tiller and string attachment. They have all worked well and im glad to have made the purchase, very good multi tool to keep in the trailer.