1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

multi purpose vs. grapple bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by hoyboy, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Buying a new skidsteer and am considering something other than a straight bucket. Anyone have experience with other kinds of buckets? I was reading a trade magazine a couple years ago and one person being interviewed said his company requires a _________ bucket because the efficiency was so much better. I can't remember if he said a multi purpose (4 in 1) bucket or a grapple bucket. Either way, I'd be interested in other opinions.

We do general landscaping, patios, etc.

thanks in advance...

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A grapple bucket is a specialize tool used for handling brush, demo debris, etc. The bucket on the right is a grapple bucket, the one on the left is basically a root grapple bucket.

We have a combo (4 in 1) bucket for our skid steer, it's the only way to go. Sure they're quite a bit more expensive but you can do quite a bit more with them. Here's a picture of one from Skidsteersolutions.com

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

if your looking to maximize your material handling then stay with a GP...meaning if your going to be hauling sand or stone for longer distances across a jobsite...the MP buckets weigh more so thats their downside which causes you to not be able to comfertably move the same amount of material you could with a lighter GP bucket.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's a good point as well, but it's never been an issue for me. One thing to consider is that if you're going to abuse a bucket, like handling lots of rock, concrete, etc.. be aware that you'll be beating up a fairly expensive bucket and unless the increase in production you get from the 4 in 1 covers the extra wear and tear that might occur in extreme conditions, you might better off with a GP. On the flipside, these buckets are every bit as tough as a GP in general tasks, so for landscaping tasks you're not going to ruin one very easily.
  5. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I like my 4 in 1 with a Rezloh edge.

a 4 in 1 is very versitile and tough to do without if you have a 'one-man' operation. They can clean-up with out dismounting a shoveling, + they have great grading advantages (metered depth, backgrading with clam open, smoothing forward w/ open...) plus the clamming operations (pulling fenceposts, placing rocks, grappling scrap iron / cement fence post stubs ...)

I got my 84" used from a Bobcat dealer for under $2000.

The industrial / demo / root grapple is a must for extensive clearing and irregular material handling. You can move a lot of trees / brush FAST with a grapple (~a bundle 4' dia x 30+ ft long). The 4 in 1 will cover a lot of this, but in smaller bites, and gravity / bouncing will cause trees bigger than 12" dia to drop out.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I got my grapple bucket from Quickattach. it compliments my smooth bucket nicely. Money well spent when it takes getting stuff into trucks or into dumpsters....