Multi- questions in 1 thread!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by meets1, Sep 4, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

First - as a fall/winter bonus to employees - thinking about getting them all hooded pull over sweatshirts. Any comments about brand, weight, pricing, logo on front / back or both??

Second - for those with knowledge or 2 cents worth - what is the best way to maintain heat in our new shop? 44 x 66 x 16. Radiant heat, wood/corn burner, LP, natural gas, or oil burner. Wanting to keep say 40ish degrees, maybe warmer when working inside. Cost is also a factor.
    Total shop area is 88 x 66 x 16. Only heating half - other is cold storage area.

Third - ditigal camera - what do you guys use? Good, better, best?
  2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

As for the camera, don't buy the kind with the most megapixels. There is no reason to have a 9meg picture when a 156K picture looks almost just as good on a pc monitor.

The 9 meg pictures take forever to transfer and e-mail.

The best would be a camera with normal to low quality.

Your pictures are never gonna be used to study the shooting of JFK or 911. That is the only time you might ever need the kind of quality you get with 9megs.

DFW Area Landscaper
  3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Employees won't consider a sweatshirt a bonus, just a uniform. As for heating, I use gas and keep the warehouse around 45 degrees. I am hardly ever there in the winter, only during snowstorms.

For a camara, anything from Canon or Sony will do.
  4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

for the camera ? i have an hp m305 3.2mp and you can see the pics i post.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

#1 Arrange with a restaurant to have employees and there spouses eat free
    Little different from a gift cert. in that it might cost you more but they can relax and enjoy and not worry about going over there limit.
    #2 I used propane for the convenience factor IE set the thermostat and its good. If I was concerned with cost would have used an outside furnace if I had the wood around. If you have to buy wood there's no saving. The cheapest method to operate is Geothermal but it happens to be the most expensive to install.
    #3 depends on what and how your planning on using the camera. A cheap camera does not cycle fast enough for moving sports but a good ones a waste of money for 90% of the people that take ordinary pics
  6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Just don't get a Canon and yes I know for quality they are a little better than the other leading brands but they have a lot of problems because of cheap products used to make them. I know this couter dicks the quality part I don't know how they do it. Well ours went out recently a week before the warranty was up. So we called canon and they said they are unsure we would have to send it i so they could see if it was under warranty well guess what it got there a few days after the warranty expired even though we had called about it before they say sorry it was after the warranty come on a few days. well they wanted more than the camera cost to repair it. To of our friends recently had the same problem with warranty issues one of them the camera was only 4 months old guess what Canon would not meet their warranty for either camera. But they did offer for all of us to pay about half the price of the camera for a refurbished one to be sent in the mail. But guess what again you have to send in your old one which I don't mind doing but they get to fix that one and resell it as well so they are making a killing on it. Yes I know they are a business and have to make a profit but I do not want to be spending the money to buy a new camera every year. But it is ok though I don't know how easy it will be to refurbish a camera will be runover buy a truck. Just so you know it hasn't been runover yet.
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

My head hurts now...what was said about the cheap cameras not being able to cylce fast enough definately somthing to watch out for. Im getting a new one just because mine wont cycle fast enough for

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I know,...I am going through the same thing with looking into buying a new camera, and I am totally lost. There are so many nice ones out there now that take WAY better pictures for a much better price than what my original one was (HP). I'm glad I'm reading this about canon, though because this is one of the cameras I was looking pretty seriously at.