1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Multi-stream rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbintexas, Jul 15, 2005.

1. jbintexas

jbintexas LawnSite Member

On my first install a year ago, I used Toro multi-stream rotors on a zone that seemed a perfect fit for radii and balanced precip, on a well. I recently had to replace four of them because they stopped turning, had several streams no longer spraying, etc. Stryker says the multi-stream design is very high maintenance. What has been your experience if you have used them? I am using some MProtators on my own system to see how they do, so far so good.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Precisely which Toro multistream heads did you install? It makes a big difference. The older 300 series heads, with their oil-filled gear drives and stainless steel arc discs, were about as good as you could get for a while. Remove the oil from the gear case, and use plastic arc discs, and the newer 300 series isn't quite the same. The multistream Toro heads sold in home improvement stores don't count, and I would never install them.
  3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

True. Those old 300s and the XP Stream rotors were the thing. They would last forever. I still run across them from time to time. And the stainless arc discs had plenty of arc selections to fit most applications. Many times the biggest fault with them was the fact that they were spaced to far apart.

WetBoots is spot on about the 'new' plastic stream rotors. They don't last, and they don't perform.

Still waiting to see how the MP rotators work though. I always enjoyed watching a stream rotor work.

Any of you ever try the Hunter attempt at a stream rotor. It came out about 12 - 15 years back and I think it went away just about as quick. Maybe lasted a season or two at most. They had more failures on those things than they had successes I think.

4. jbintexas

jbintexas LawnSite Member

I used 300 Series Stream Rotor, bought them from Ewing last summer. They have the stainless discs. I tried to wash one of them out on site, but it didn't help. Perhaps it was sand particles clogging orifices? I will try to take one apart and see.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You want clean city water on sprinkler systems with the 300's, or well water run through a hundred mesh strainer. They won't tolerate sandy water on a continuing basis. That basket strainer is good, but not perfect. If any of the orifices clog on a new installation, that would point at sandy water or dirt in the lines. These heads also are a bit of a problem to install like you would a Hunter, where it is simple to add the nozzle in the field. It's almost better to 'build' the head with arc disc and nozzle before you connect it to your (dirt-free) pipes. I think it's too easy to get dirt into the nozzle area when you try to add the arc disc and nozzle to the installed 'blank' head.

I only tried a few of the XP rotors, and didn't see anything like the distance the catalog claims. That might be why some of them seem spaced too far apart. They're still turning, still covering, and still popping down. Can't ask for much more than that.

Does anyone remember Toro's Rain Pro stream rotor?
  6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely nothing in this world more beautiful than a zone of toro stream rotors running in the pre-dawn. It is majestic in it's own right. And, yes the old heads could and did fail in time, but clean them up and they work like a champ again. The rubber seal seemed to go bad w/ time in poor water. But, hey, an easy enough fix. Seems like the arc adjustment kit had 10 spots in it? or was it twelve? I ain't buying one at this stage, I don't have a single account with streams on it, but in the past, I had a kit w/ the red spider seals (can't remember the correct term for them right now). Used to have the worst time cleaning old nozzles in the spring. Critters like to nest in them when they are off for an extended period. Sometimes they flush sometimes they don't. And, yeah, don't put them on anything but the cleanest water. Hard red iron water is almost as bad as silt or sand given time.