Multi Tank Spray sytems ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Dancer, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

A good friend of mine is looking to buy a sytem that could be comprised of 4 tanks all with separate tanks and elctric hose reels, I am thinking based on talking to him that he is lookingf for the following,
    1 tank of about 300 gallons and the other three 2-100 gallon, 1-50 gallon ! He wants to eliminate 4 trucks all with separate tanks, this way he could have one tank each for
    Lawn and Weed control
    Sterilizing
    Insect Control
    I can't remember whta he wants the 3rd tank for !
    Please help ! I am trying to find a manufacturer who makes such a set up !
    Thanks

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Turbo Turf Technologies will custom build just about anything. I have a set up with three tanks but only one pump and hose reel, didn't see much need for the extra hardware. Mine has a system of valves so I can use which ever tank I want.

3. They all will make one for him, contact me and I can tell you many places.

Only really need 1-3 tanks set-up. Only will really use 2.
    Lawngodfather@yahoo.com

4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Why have 3 tanks. Rittenhouse makes a system that uses one tank of plain water and injectors for the chemicals that you want to use. This way you don't have to tank mix and you also only use the amount of chemical needed for a specific job. No leftover spray to worry about.

5. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I use one split-tank (200/100) for T/S app's and it works out great with just one pump,reel etc. I have used multi tank/multi pump systems in the past and they certainly have advantages as well. For the uses decribed above I think I would lean more toward multi tank/pump. If your friend intends on using the setup for sterilization,insect control and weed control this would be the safest setup. It's very easy to turn one return valve or main suction valve the wrong way and contaminate an entire tank. Think of the potential liablity if you intended on spraying some arbovitae for bagworms and sprayed a herbicide instead, or worse yet a soil sterilant. You also have to consider "bleeding" the lines from the reel and risking contaminating a tank or a incomplete bleeding if the mixtures look or smell similar. Go with a seperate tank, reel,pump and plumbing if you are going to do Lawn and Tree/Shrub apps from the same truck. The potential for damage is frightening otherwise.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

4 tanks is the system I want. Right now I use a 3 tanks 3 pumps 3 hose reels.

1 Lawn fert and Squirt (gas)
    2. Shrub fert and Squirt (gas)
    3 Spot treat Lawn Herbicide (electric)

4th one would be Fruit trees since merit can not be used on them. This tank would be kept free of herbicides and systemics and used for special applications.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I thnk that the one large tank of water and smaller tanks of concentrate that are fed into the system would be the way to go, that's how some of the big ag sprayers are set up.

wouldn't you need to flush the pump and hose with plain water between chemicals if using one pump?