Multi-Use Tools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foggyjr5, May 23, 2005.

1. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

Does anyone use a multi-use tool or do you all have seperate tools for different uses. I was thinking about getting one that could be an edger, hedge clipper, trimmer, and other things all in one. I was looking for one that wouldnt cost me an arm and a leg to get.
  2. elamey

elamey LawnSite Member

IMHO, i'd rather have seperate tools. I think the multi tool is great for the home owner. But when i'm bustin' some hump to get lawns done, I just like to grab the next tool and go. I'm not sure how much extra time it would take to disconnect and connect all the different tools.....
  3. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

While the split-boom units are nice, there is one thing to consider, if the engine goes down on the power unit than you don't have any tools
  4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

On tools that you use a lot like string trimmers and possably edgers, I'd say get a separate tool for those. But I like the multi tool as a back up string trimmer, edger (I only blade edge 1x/year), atriculating pole trimmers and pole chain saw. I dont use those very often but when I do need them its nice to have them handy with out costing lots of dollars.
  5. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a cheap one given to me i think its from home depo but its a pice of junk i would stay with seprate tools. thats my 2 cents
    don't mind my spelling
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a split shaft. I needed a power broom and thats the only way echo makes one. I like it. A tiny bit heavier than a regular trimmer.