Multie Use Handheld trimmer, edger etc

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BeautifulBlooms, Mar 18, 2007.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering if anyone out there has the multi use tools.
    I know echo makes one with a edger, string trimmer, articulating hedge trimmer, paddle wheel, sweeper, power pruner, and maybe more.

I am wondering who has what and if you like them or not? It sure seems like it beats buying 5 different tools with different engines, but I am looking for overall feedback.

I would probably at most buy the power pruner, trimmer, edger, and hedge trimmer!
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have the husky multi-tool edger and trimmer . i keep it behind the seat of the truck as a emergengy backup
  3. BeautifulBlooms

and??? Is it worthwile, cost effective? any input?
  4. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have an echo PAS 260. I love it. It is 7 years old and runs like a champ. They are definatley worth while. I have a trimmer edger and tiller attach. for it. I will be buying a new uint this year. I think that getting one would save you a ton of money compared to buying a seperate trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, ect.
  5. BeautifulBlooms

Yeah I agree about the cost savings I just wasnt sure of the quality. Personally I have somethign against echo and I am not sure why I just think that overall stihl products seem to be better. Although I have only used a stihl chainsaw, and echo trimmers. So I cant generalize like that. I just have to look into the pricing of both and see how they compare. Also depends on the service I will get and the warranty issues.

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

Look at the Stihl KM poweheads. They have 3 different commercial models. Even the smallest one is over 28cc. Stihl has the best articulating hedgetrimmer IMO and I have never seen a coupling issue with any of the attachments. They also have a new rack that will hold your power head with one attachment and 4 additional attachments to mount in an enclosed trailer or shed (homeowner)

This is definately the best way to purchase a trimmer if you work solo or don't have a large crew. If you have a crew, of course, you want EVERYBODY with something in their hand, no combi units for large operations...
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind if you have one power head and it goes down ......all work essentially stops.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

thats why mine is a backup unit. it works great but its only for emergengy use in case my reg stick edger or trimmer goes down my day isnt ruined

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

I agree, nothing wrong with a back up plan.

Why not make your back up unit another combi power head? That way even your back up unit has extreme versatility and can "back up" virtually ANY piece that goes down.

Good point Lawnboy Dan.
  10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl, model FS 85 I think. It is a split shaft, for which I have the hedge trimmer( adjustible angle)edger, pole pruner, as well as the string trimmer head. I already had a trimmer but bought unit as a trimmer for backup, and added other components. I have had it 4-5 years and it performs well. I use as an edger most of the time, but other items are handy when needed. I beat buying dedicated tools for those functions that do not see much use I think this was before they called them combi tools.