multiflora rose bushes

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by haybaler, Apr 2, 2007.

1. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

how do you get rid of them?? is it better to mow them or dig them out with a excavator. I have a customer with like over 2 acres of them and they keep coming back.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

So, they keep coming back from the root stalk?
    I have never had a problem with any of the roses in getting rid of them. Even wild rose a simple dig gets rid of them. I would say spray. Not sure what is labled for roses but you might look at 2-4d. A rose is broad leaf and am sure it would kill it, just not sure if it is labled.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing them it's real easy to get a bunch of flats. I would dig them out once and for all if you have 2 acres of them. You can thank Uncle Sam for devloping multafloral rose. They developed it back in the early 1950's as a cheap alternative to fencing livestock in as opposed to using normal wood or barb wire type.

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to keep them out is regular mowing at least twice a year with a bush hog. To kill them out use a chemical named Spike from Dow (I think). It comes as a pellet or as a liquid concentrate. Be careful with it, it can leach to downstream targets. It kills trees and shrubs (broadleaf), not grass. Best way to clear 'em is to mow with rubbertrack loader/bush-hog combo, then Spike 'em.:cool2: :cool2:

5. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

the customer doesn't want to use any chemicals. there are old cow pasture fences and big juniper bushes in the way also so it's hard to get all of them with the bush hog.