Multiple Attachment Question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting out this year, first season out.

Go ahead and laugh, I'm using a Ryobi 775R trimmer for right now. I was using it at my parents house, kept it and have continued to use it. The things been used for about 5 years now, and this year on the properties I'm doing.

The machine seems to be running pefectly fine, which I know is a shock since it's a Ryobi label.

Problem is that I have the trimmer, the edger, the blower, the blower/leaf vaccum combo, the tiller and the hedge trimmer attachments. I've picked them up over the years, one by one...

Now I'm fearful that my Ryobi may just go and BLOW UP one day, especially when you read the messages on here about Ryobi in general.. Sounds like everyone practically started with one, but then went to Stihl, Echo, etc etc etc....

So, should I buy any backup equipment NOW before this Ryobi blows up? Being that I have like ALL of the attachments for it, should I buy another Ryobi but with more overall HP or more CC's on the engine? I've DEFINATLY gotten my money's worth out of the 775R engine that is on there now.

I've never used a different machine, so am I an absolute fool to figure that a "trimmer is a trimmer", so if the Ryobi can trim aorund a telephone pole or a fire hydrant fine with my .80 cross-fire trimmer line, so can a fancy Stihl machine that costs $325 and it does the same job?

Does the Stihl split-boom machine ACCEPT any ryobi attachments? Cause I'd hate to loose each of these attachments just because 1 engine went, which I know I could replace for a whopping $150, probably less brand new...

Anyone out there STILL using Ryobi and doing fine by it, without any problems?

Just seems like there is a lot of negatives about the machine in general, but I gotta say for me so far, it's been working great......

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am 99% positive that the Ryobi attachments are not going to fit the Stihl FS85RT.
  3. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I would go ahead and buy a new trimmer when money allowed. I would keep the ryobi as a backup and use it for the attachments. I think by using it mainly for the attachment that you would still get service out of it and have the everyday advantage of a commercial trimmer.
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Doogiegh - I started last year part time with a Ryobi (Model 790 I think). I also already had it, along with the straight shaft string trimmer, hedge trimmer and blower. After limited use servicing 6 accounts last year, the hedge trimmer no longer cuts acceptably (never really did, but its really bad now), and the blower housing is worn through where the impeller spins around. It's not much of a blower to begin with! My power head and string trimmer are still running strong though. I think the power head will actually outlive all the implements combined. But, your best bet is probably to do what Chariot suggested, but go with a new split-boom one. I know that Stihl, Shindaiwa and Echo all make split boom trimmers with and assortment of attachements. Echo seems to have the most attachements. Maybe buy a new split-boom unit with just the trimmer (I bought the Shindaiwa) and upgrade to matching attachements as the Ryobi ones disintegrate. I actually bought the Stihl 85 first, but it was a cold hearted beast that started hard and took forever to warm up. I started it cold twice and took it back to my dealer without even wacking a single piece of grass with it. They worked on it so that it hardly started instead of starting hard. I told them to keep it and took the Shin instead, even trade.
  5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, all weedeater trim. A good commercial unit is simmly not comparable though in performance.
  6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I started this year with a Snapper 21", a Ryobi multi-tool and a broom. I still have the Snapper but have added two 2 year old Toro proline 21's (another lco changes out his trim mowers every 2 years and made me an offer I couldn't refuse), a Stihl FS-80 trimmer and an Echo PB-602 backpack blower. A trimmer is not a trimmer, as I have found out. The Stihl is far, far more productive than the Ryobi. My trim and edge times are 1/2 to 1/3 of what they were with the Ryobi, which is currently sitting on the floor of the garage in pieces. I am fixing it to be the backup. Next year, hopefully, I will have an Exmark Metro 32" and 6x12 trailer.
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

That's the ticket... go get you a Stihl FS80R straight shaft commercial trimmer for about $269 at your local Stihl dealer. This one will not accept attachments other than specialty cutting blades, and has a lighter duty cable driveshaft instead of a steel driveshaft, although you can cut anything in your path with it and the .095" line. This is a good commercial duty trimmer that will last decades probably, at a good price. Then keep the Ryobi for using attachments with, and try not to use it for much else (trimming with two men on trimmers), to save the engine from additional wear. If you want to switch over to Stihl brand line of trimmer/attachments, you SHOULD get a FS85 RT, which is a split boom trimmer very similar to the FS80 R that I have. It accepts a multitude of wonderful attachments. I can't remember the price on it but call your dealer and he'll give you a good price for it. There are lesser models but then you get into very light duty commercial or residential models and less power, slightly less longevity etc. so get the FS85 RT if possible. Check out for product info and dealer locator.
    Good luck,
    PS I got this after having many fits with a Homelite curved shaft trimmer, I promise you you will never go back to a cheap residential trimmer again!!! You'll love the commercial duty machines!
  8. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

Chariot & Darryl said it. I, too, started out with my Ryobi. I upgraded to the Husky 325 this year and loved it. I then realized that I really needed a good set of hedge trimmers but don't do enough hedges to justify a dedicated set. Anyway, long story short, my dad needed a trimmer so he bought my Husky and I bought an Echo split boom with the string trimmer and hedge trimmer attachments. I don't like the Echo string as much as I did the Husky. Maybe next year I can make the Echo my backup/attachment machine and get another Husky:dizzy:
  9. Keep your Riobe for using the multi attatchments. Buy a good commercial trimmer. The weight difference is another issue that was not mentioned. Beside you will be more productive with a truely better machine.

Been doing this trade for over 30 years. Have worked most brands. My favorites are stihl and shindiawa.