multiple bid fiasco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, Mar 17, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Thought some of you might find this kind of interesting.......I bid on a job last week for a state agency that actually consists of 18 separate facilities. Under the freedom of information act I already knew what they were currently paying for the lawn care. I visited each of the sites and was totally blown away by some of the prices that they were paying on some of the jobsites. Five of the faciliites were major amounts of hills, banks and ditches.......and they were paying less for these than they were for the nice flat ones. Came back and pulled the IFB apart and found where we were able to bid on one, one or more, or all of the facilities and bids would be awarded on an individual basis. Call me a jackass if ya want - but we blew off the crazy ones - and bid only on the flat - ez properties. Was notified on Friday that we got the contract on all that we bid on - and that the others would be awarded to the contractor who has been doing the work in the past and re-bid at the same prices as before. I can't imagine that this guy will be a happy camper - knowing that he's climbing mountains to get his money while we'll be cutting our 13 facilities with ease. The older I get the less I understand some people.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats! You played it very well. Rest assured he may play it next year though.

3. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

It's actually a 5 year contract with annual increases built in. So he'll have a few years to get ready.

4. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Wish I could find some 5 year easy mow jobs....

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

5 year contract! You DID make out!