multiple customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jun 5, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I was wondering how or what you guys do to get multiple customers in one area. (for example this company by me cuts like every building in the industrial park.) How the heck did they do that they have only been around for like 8 years. From your experiance is it where they advertise or what?

Thank you Jason

2. ahah

ahah LawnSite Member
    from 5

The longer you are in business, the tighter your routes become.

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the middle of a mini-phenomenon on this one street. It started with a big spring clean up for one guy (one time deal), which came by referral from a real estate agent (I was paid in full by the real estate agency 4 days after I finished the job). After I finished that job we did a about 150 door hangers in the neighborhood.

Then, I landed two weekly mowing accounts about two blocks down from the door hangers.

Next, I hooked up with a client for mulch job (30 yards), pea gravel driveway installment, and weekly mowing - this one was off the same batch of door hangers. When I went to meet this gentleman he said, "the gal that cut my lawn last year just quit showing up.....she never called or anything.......I don't know what happened to her." He's a nice guy & good client too. Paid me 50% up front for the mulch job, plus my cuts are $5 more per week than the LCO he had last year.

Today, I got another clean up pretty much right in the middle of all these other accounts (yup I know late in the year but it's a $450, 8 hr. job), and the weekly mowing contract - this one by word of mouth.

4. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

I've been in business 10 months now and have 5 on one block, 4 on another, 3 on another, I have 20 in a 4 mile radius around my house. All you have to do is be friendly, professional, dependable, and do good work. People mine is all word of mouth. I have 50 accounts total and have not started advertising other than my website.

5. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

i understand having a few in a nieghborhood but these guys are doing like 90 % of a whole industrial park. I think i wouldnt mind hiring a salesman for doing my biding and obtaining accounts and pay him a alary and commision. Any thoughts or sugestions, thats really the only way i can think somone can get so many accounts in one area.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Word of mouth works best for me. I started in one higher end neighborhood 4 years ago with 5 accounts. Today I have 25 properties in the one neighborhood. Also extremely good careful work does go alon way to get customers.