Multiple Guys Coming Together

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ZKSLAWN, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy told me of a plan that him and his co worker have been thinking about.. ok heres the story.. I have 2 buddies that work together have about 30 accounts and a fair amount of equipment and experience.. than another buddy who's been out of the business for a couple years but wants back in and knows a lot of people.. than there's me who only has about 10 accounts not much equipment but i help the first two guys out everytime they need it. The last guy is about 40 who's been doing it for a while with some nice equipment with good experience..

His plan is to get the four of us first and maybe the 5th guy (the older one) and put us all together in one big company. and join all our stuff together branch out of our town and get more commercial jobs as well.. i told him we should start with some small landscape work too and than build on that and the hardscapes but we only talked for about 10 minutes yesterday... Were planning on during christmas break sitting us all down and talking intently about it..

Do you think this would work??

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, someone will end up getting pissed because he feels he is doing/suppling more to the company.......that's just the way it goes........you would have to write up sometype of legal paperwork saying what each one will get in case it goes south.......that's just my O2.....:usflag:

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like an implosion waiting to happen.

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't do it!!!! I've read some horror stories on here about bad partners and most of them seem to turn out that way. Do a search on partners etc.

5. sounds like a late nite poker game and a lot of beer was involved.

6. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

That type of arragement can only end badly.

funny-pictures-cat-watches-bird-eat-turkey.jpg

7. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Im sorry but I have to laugh over this one…yep I can see it now. The guy that has the most accounts is gonna be pissed because he is giving away his money. the guy with all the equipment and knowledge isn’t gonna do any work simply because he owns everything. The ones with no to little accounts will be stuck doing all the work…..yep…I for see a lot of people getting screwed and fighting…this business will surely last during the winter months but fall apart and ruin any further chance of success by spring time (mowing season start)

8. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

well the two that are together now have the most accounts other than the older guy.. and they have the most equipment. and this was their idea.. we havn't planned anything but we would have someone else manage the money and decide who gets what job and this person would not be one of us.. so that everything is split equally. The paper idea is a good one some kind of contract within us..

9. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

The "old" guy is 40, right? I'm betting he comes out ahead :)

10. NEWGUYRI

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

It just doesn't work that way. You NEED to have a written contract specifically stating EVERYTHING including specific jobs, equity, etc. If you don't YOU WILL get SCREWED over. Sorry to be harsh but i'm just trying to keep you from being killed.