Multiple manifold mainline connections

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by shawnm, Aug 14, 2006.

1. shawnm

shawnm LawnSite Member

Please advise how the mainline is run to multiple manifolds. In other words, is the mainline daisychained from manifold one to manifold two like the common wire to valves is done? Or is a mainline for each manifold run from the POC?

Thank you,
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I run the mainline however it makes sense, if I run it around a building, I'll have multiple small manifolds in sequence.

If it makes more sense to split immediately at the POC and run seperate ways, I do that.

There is no right or wrong to this, its simply preference, and what is the best use of pipe.

3. shawnm

shawnm LawnSite Member

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Jon.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Like Jon said it's all a matter of what/where you're trying to accomplish. Sometimes it might be better to run main line while other times it might be better to run long laterals in specific areas. The plot plan and/or what is already in the ground and might be in the way of plowing/trenching may end up being the ultimate answer. If the zones are spread out you may have to run in different directions whereas if the zones are sequential in some manner then a straight through main would be best. Just remember that although you might end up with a split main line you may (or may not) be able to run multiple zones at the same time. This will all depend on what your available GPM is at your POC.

And then, of course, there's the looped main. Would be highly unlikely on a residential or small commercial install.
  5. shawnm

shawnm LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response, PurpHaze.